XIX

Cal:

Xavier wanted to go back to California the next day.

I wasn't against the idea, but there was a part of me that wanted more time with him—just him. It was the only opportunity where it was just us two, everything else in a different state—and I didn't want to go back on the plane.

"It'll be fine." Xavier assures me, patting my leg quickly as he sits down next to me. "We have to go back eventually, and I have Issac and Elliot's wedding to attend."

"Mhm." I say, trying to keep my cool. What I really wanted to say was "they're getting married. That's great!" But the huge knot in my throat is preventing me from saying much at all. The flight attendants walk by, quickly checking the overhead compartments. I swallow, throat dry.

"It sounded like you had no trouble flying here. You should have no trouble now." Xavier says taking my hand. I can hear the captain speaking over the intercom, but to me his voice is miles away.

"That was different." I growl out quietly between my teeth.

"How so?"

The planes engine starts running, and it hums to life quickly, the plane pulling away from the gate.

"Oh god." I say jerking away from the window next to me, pressing my brow against Xavier's shoulder.

"How is this different from last time?" Xavier says trying to distract me.

"I was coming to win you back."

"I'm here now. Shouldn't that make things better?"

"That's not the point." I hiss, clenching my eyes shut at the plane stops, preparing tolaunchpad itself down the runway. "I was motivated."

"I can motivate you." Xavier says as the plane starts moving again, accelerating quickly.

"Really?!" I ask trying to keep my voice from rising.

Xavier leans close, and the vulgar promises he makes to me causes me to blush as red as a tomato.

I squirm away from him, pressing myself as close as I can to the window now.

"You're awful." I whisper.

"Motivated?" Xavier asks pulling away.

"I'm not sure actually."

Xavier smirks, leans close again and presses a soft kiss to the corner of my mouth. "Well I think you'll be okay. Just don't look to your right."

"It's not flying. It's just taking off and landing." I mumble embarrassed.

"Well then look to your right."

I press my lips together, steer my vision towards the window and watch the ground beneath me fade.

I feel lips press to my ear. "I love you."
——————
Xavier:

"What?!" I demand into my phone as Cal drives us back from the airport.

"We might have..." Elliot trails off.

"There's no such thing as might have" I hear from Issac in the background.

"You eloped. Great." I deadpan.

"You don't have to sound so excited." Elliot says sarcastically.

"They eloped!" Cal yells then.

"There you go!" Issac says. "At least someone is happy for us."

"We didn't have to get on the stupid plane so early then!" Cal says.