9 - Regroup and Conquer

Ironcrawlers's Camp

Asher and Beringer didn't have to wait long before the three were done

Asher and Beringer didn't have to wait long before the three were done. The guard was quick to inform them and before long the siblings were standing in front of their enemy trio. Asher and Beringer looked over the three, contemplating if they should even consider joining forces with them. They were the enemy, after all, a force to be reckoned with.

Before either of the siblings could speak, another voice split the tensioned silence.

"I think we should join forces. The gods have predicted it, therefore, it must be followed through," Ivar spoke, looking at the two Ironcrawlers's.

Asher laughed, clearly amused by this, "They are your gods, not mine. Why should I listen to them? Why are you so sure that we are the ones they are talking about?"

"I can feel it," was his simple response.

Asher shook her head, "Not good enough."

Ivar glared at the duo, he knew this was what the gods wanted. He was used to getting what he wanted and this girl denying him was not helping his temper.

"The gods have given me a sign," Floki spoke up, looking to Asher and her brother, "They have shown me that you are 'the child of English lands'."

Asher looked them both over, doubting Floki's confession. She didn't believe that the gods or god could show signs. Then again, Asher believed in no god. From a young age, she had learned that God didn't care for her family. She had watched her parents slowly wither away into nothing. She had watched them die and even in death they still believe that God was looking over them. Asher couldn't believe that though. She hadn't grown up in a steady and secure environment like her parents. She had grown up seeing the cruelty of this world and she had become a warrior set on revenge. But even after her revenge, she found that she was still thirsty for blood, blood which may come from innocent men or even the Vikings at this point.

Maybe joining these Vikings would be the smart thing to do. Joined together, there would be no army stronger than them. But wouldn't that take the challenge out of every battle, knowing that they would win against the few who challenged them? She wasn't sure what she should choose, she knew that if she chose to join forces with the Vikings she would go to lands farther than she could imagine, but she also thought of her people. She still owed many of them revenge. She didn't want them to think that since she got her revenge, she wouldn't seek vengeance for them.

She knew what she needed to do.

Turning to the guards, she spoke her commands, "Gather up the people, there will be a meeting within the hour. Let the prisoners loose, they need to tell the people of their proposal."

She turned to Ivar, Floki, and Helga, "Follow me."

With that they were out of the tent, heading to the place where the meeting would be held. It didn't take long before everyone was gathered. They all looked curiously at the Northman.

"Ironcrawlers," Asher spoke clearly, her voice demanding their full attention, "these Northman have a proposal. I think it is only far that everyone chooses our fate. If you think that these Northman are worth our time by the end of our speech than we shall move from there, if not, they shall die. How does that sound?"

She smiled at the now, slightly fearful Vikings, though they hide their fear well. With that she moved to the side, giving them the crowds attention.

Ivar looked out at the crowd, he studied the faces of the elderly to the children. He knew what they wanted to hear, at least he thought he did. He was confident in what he was going to say.

"You want revenge, don't you?" he questioned the quiet crowd. Many nodded, some shouted in agreement. He knew he was on the right track.

"If your army was to join with mine, we would be unstoppable. You could have your revenge while we take over England and after we have conquered England, we will move on to places you couldn't even imagine."

Ivar watched as the crowd looked towards one another, debating their decision. He looked over at Floki and Helga. Floki's crazed smile remained on his face, but Helga looked worried for Ivar. Was that speech enough to convince them?

Asher moved forward again, seeing as his speech was finished.

"I will give you some time to come to a decision," she spoke, "Beorhtsige will come with your answer." 

Beorhtsige nodded towards his leader, turning back to the forming circle. Asher turned to Beringer with a nod, signaling him to join their discussion. He had a say in this vote as well. She motioned for the Vikings to follow her once more, bringing them to her tent.

Once all parties were seated, she spoke once again, "Tell me, Floki. You say you have been shown signs by the gods. What signs have they shown you?"

Floki's smile widened, he loved talking about 'his' gods.

"The gods have come to me in visions. They have told me of your power. I am sure that you are the one they have spoken of, the great warrior who will help Ivar conquer the world."

"Let's hope your gods convince my people to let you live then," Asher smiled.

"May I ask how you came to obtain these abilities?" Floki spoke, jittering with excitement.

Asher's smile quickly turned into a frown, she looked to the dirt they sat on.

"My father was born with these abilities also," she started, "he began to realize that I was also born with them soon after I was two winters. He taught me from a young age that these powers should be hidden, that under no circumstances should they be used. My father had accidentally hurt many of the people he loved as a child with his power and that's why he was so strict about my use of them. King Reginolde had also heard of these abilities and had labeled them 'the devil's work'. After he found out my father had them, he exiled us," by the end, Asher was fuming in anger, the floor was shaking lightly. The three looked at each other in worry, but upon Asher noticing her slight loss of control, she called herself, ending the shaking.

Not long after she had calmed herself, Beorhtsige entered the tent.

"Asher," he spoke, "the people have come to a decision."

Asher nodded for him to continue.

"We want..."