#44 "Who Is Cooler?"

(Edited Ver. Uploaded At 19/08/25)

# NF - Let You Down

"Why are your house all cobwebbed?" Josh asked, raising an eyebrow as he eyed my house from inside his car.

"It's Halloween soon, silly!" I said as I fastened the seatbelt, ready to go to school.

"Ohh! You guys started early!" Josh said, nodding as he put the gear in drive.

"Yeah. It's our favorite holiday." I said, smiling widely.

"Really? You just love to scare those poor kids, don't you?" Josh said, laughing.

"You know it. Last year Alex and I dressed up as that clown in 'IT' and hung red balloons everywhere. The kids who had seen that movie were freaked out, and those who haven't just found it eerie when we grinned like a madman and gave out balloons filled with snacks." I said, laughing.

"Oh god. That's genius." Josh said, laughing as well.

"Are you planning to decorate your house as well?" I asked.

Josh shook his head. "Nah. I am not going to be at home that day anyway."

I tilted my head. "Why not? Aren't you going to give out candies?"

Josh laughed. "No. Because we are going out on a date."

"Oh. That Halloween party that Ryan mentioned a few days ago?" I asked. Josh just shook his head no.

"Aww come on. Give me the details." I said, pouting.

"We are going to dress up and go trick or treating." Josh said casually.

"Uh...What? Aren't we a little too old for that?" I asked, already thinking how embarrassing it would be.

"Nope. It would be fun! We are going back to our childhood. Plus, we are going to donate the candies to the orphanage." Josh said, laughing.

I shrugged. It sounded good enough, and people won't question us if we are doing it for a good cause. "That's good. Did you already pick out which orphanage we'll donate it to?"

"Yeah. There's this orphanage I used to go with my dad to do volunteer work. It would be nice to go there again." Josh said.

"Okay." This was the first time Josh said anything related to his dad. I still wondered why Josh didn't live with his parents. Sure, we were adults and all and it was normal to move out, but he never mentioned anything about his family much. It just made me curious.

"We're here. How about we go to a costume shop to pick out our costumes after the last lecture?" Josh asked as he unfastened his seatbelt. I broke out of my trance to realize that we were already in our school's parking lot.

"Oh sure." I said, grinning. I just had to be understanding and be patient. Josh must be trying. He must be.

-

"No way. You guys are not coming to the Halloween party too?" Liza asked, frowning.

"Yeah. We are gathering candy to donate to the orphanage." Josh said, grinning.

"Oh. That's good." Liza said, brightening up.

"Can we join you? It feels like forever since I have gone trick or treating!" Katy said, her eyes twinkling.

"Ooh. Yeah! It would be way better than getting drunk. I mean I went there and done that already. I wanna dress up as Batman!" Ryan said, doing a pose.

Liza smiled. "Well if you guys are doing it, I might as do it as well."

I grinned. "Why don't you ask David to come along?"

Liza stammered, blushing. "W...What?"

"He actually asked her out yesterday." Katy said, laughing.

"What?! Why didn't you tell me???" I asked, shaking Liza.

"You were working with him yesterday!! You would have asked him about it and told something embarrassing about me!!" Liza said, shaking her head.

"No, I wouldn't!" I said like it was the absurdist thing I had heard. The fact was that I probably would have. I can help but act weird when I'm excited!

"Well, Lissy and I were planning to go to this costume shop after school. You guys up for it?" Josh asked, grinning.

"Hell yeah!" Ryan said, smiling widely.

"Batman, huh?" Katy said, tapping her chin. "Maybe I should be a cat woman."

"Poison Ivy might really suit you too." I said, imagining Katy as Poison Ivy.

"Cat woman is much cooler." Josh said.

"Are you kidding? Poison Ivy is the real deal." Liza said, shaking her head.

I think we argued over who was the best character until it was time for us to shuffle off to our next class. I was so engrossed in the debate that I haven't touched anything on my plate. Now I was hungry. Damn it.

I sighed and groaned as I slumped on the desk of my soon to begin class. Josh smirked as he sat next to me.

"This is not remotely funny." I said, glowering.

"It kinda is when I have something that will help you." Josh said, pulling out a snack cake from his pocket. My eyes widened.

"Gimme." I said, my hands straightforward to grab it from him.

"What's the magic word?" Josh said, teasingly.

"I'll cut your balls off if you don't give it to me." I said.

Josh shook his head. "Close. The answer was please. And I already said it before. You'll have to touch it first to get rid of it."

I just stared at him with big eyes till he sighed and gave it to me.

"Thank you!" I sing sang as I took a big bite. Damn it was good.

Josh just ruffled my hair, laughing.

🌟

Halloween! What characters should they dress up as?

Don't forget to smash that star button/comment if you like this chapter! XDIt motivates authors!