Chapter 2 ➺ Paisley

Flashback

I felt a familiar flip in my stomach as we approached the doors to the banquet hall. I was actually nervous. I don't know if it's the fact that everyone from school is here, and we're all just seeing each other in a place other than school, or if it's that we're all dressed up or maybe that we'll all be dancing. Or maybe I'm nervous that my expectations of what "Prom" is supposed to be won't be met by the reality of it. I'm not sure, but one thing I do know, is that I'm actually shaking a little bit as we are walking through the doors into the elegantly decorated hall.

"Too bad we don't have nice gentlemen as dates that would open the door for us." Rosalie said, joking and pulling the doors open for us.

"That's okay. We don't need dates. We'll have more fun just with us girls anyway." Elizabeth said.

"I think so too. I think if we had dates it would be kind of awkward because then you don't know if he'll want to spend time with you or his friends and then we wouldn't be able to be together." I explained. I'd always learned it was more fun to go to dances with your friends rather than a guy.

"I really hope the decorations are good. I heard they were pretty lame last year." Mallory said.

"I think they'll be okay. The committee seemed pretty excited about them, so I think they'll be fine." I said.

As we spoke, we walked through and saw the inside of the hall. There were big golden arches surrounding the entryway. When you went under the arches and through the french doors, you could see all the tables, which were decorated with a vase of white roses in the middle and had elegant table cloths flowing down to the floor. The whole room was pretty dark, except for some flashing lights that shined on the dance floor. Overall, everything looked very beautiful. It was all very classy.

"It's so beatiful." Mallory murmured beside me. We all just kind of stood near the enterance, taking everything in. There was a food table with small snacks on the right wall, and in the left corner, there was a drink table. From what I could spot, it looked like there was a punch bowl. There were already a lot of people here, even though it only started fifteen minutes ago. Some were seated at tables, talking to friends, and others were already on the dance floor. The DJ was already playing music, so I guess they didn't want to waste a good song. Some people littered the side walls and the corners too, standing in huddles with their friends.

There were teachers and principals standing spaced out around the big room, talking to each other while making sure nobody was up to any trouble. It seemed a little ridiculous to me that they have to watch us so closely, but I completely understand. Our age group these days doesn't really understand how to make good choices, so its probably better that they're here to make sure someone doesn't do anything stupid.

"Well shall we find a table and sit for awhile, or do you girls want to go straight to dancing?" Elizabeth asked us.

"I think we should get a table, check out the scene first." I suggested. They all agreed, so we went to the corner, where one of the only open tables was. We all took a seat, chatted a little bit, got some little snacks, and just generally were having a great time.

There was a group of guys standing in the corner near our table. They were all huddled around each other, and it was quite odd, but I always see the same group in the hallway standing around in a small crowd like that.

"Well guys, I think it's time we hit up that dance floor." Mallory said, eyeing up the mass of moving bodies.

"Sure." I said. To be honest, I'm kind of one of those people that doesn't beg for attention, so dancing publicly in front of everyone was a little awkward for me, but I want to have a good time tonight, so I'm going to just not worry about what anyone thinks.