Chapter 16 ➺ Paisley

It's already August. And Hattie is leaving me. I don't know how the summer flew by so fast, but it did.

And I never saw it coming, but Harry and I are closer than ever.

After the party that night, or should I call it a disaster, Harry made sure I got home safely. Although the whole incident with Louis and what he said hurt, I wasn't going to let that of all things bother me. Harry and I talked it out, and even though Louis had a negative connotation when speaking about Harry's new habits, I couldn't be happier that he's mostly stopped drinking.

It wasn't my intention to make him stop or whatever. Never would I try and change someone like that. If someone is going to become a better person, they need to figure out what they need to do on their own.

And I believe Harry did. He figured out that his partying wasn't getting him anywhere, so he stopped. Maybe hanging out and becoming friends with me gave him a little push, but certainly not one that I initiated.

He's not totally different. He's just a bit more thoughtful now. I can't help but be glad that the accident may have caused this positive change for him.

Harry and I have made Friday night our official 'Make fun of dramatic movies movie night.' I go over to his house and we watch some horribly made movies and laugh along to it the entire time. It's quite fun, really. The rest of the summer has just been working at Dairy Queen making ice cream sundaes and trying to savor the little bit of time I have left with Hattie.

Tonight is one of the said movie nights. Tonight's pick: Titanic. I was snuggled up on the couch in Harry's basement, a quilt thrown over me, despite it being August. Harry sat beside me, imitating Jack's love for Rose.

"Oh, Rose. Even though I just met you I want to die for you." Harry drew on, a silly smile drawn on his face. Who ever knew he had this easy-going, funny side to him. But tonight, I just couldn't enjoy it.

We were taking Hattie to school tomorrow. LIke, away to school. And I've known this was coming for weeks, but the reality of my best friend moving hours away is just now setting in. Harry seemed to pick up on it.

"Hey, Pay, that was a good one." He said, hitting me playfully.

"I know." I said, a small smile ghosting my lips.

"What's wrong?" He asked, turning his body towards me.

I took a deep breath before speaking. "Just...tomorow. We're taking Hattie to school."

"Oh." Harry said, knowing there's not much he can do to make anything better.

"Yeah. I just, it's going to be a big change for me. I'm used to seeing her everyday." I said, staring off into space nostalgically.

"It will be different." Harry admitted. "But at least I'll still be here."

"Oh, so I can come over at three in the morning and talk to you when I have a problem." I said giggling. I don't think Harry really understands what I'll be missing here.

"Sure." He shrugs, like it would be no big deal for him.

"'What about when I get my period and I'm cramping and need someone to complain to?" I said, knowing her wouldn't agree to this one.

"Errr, you might just want to give Hattie a call for that one." I said and I laughed. "But anything else, I'll be here. I just don't deal with that girly shit." And I felt incredibly happy at the genuineness in his voice. It's crazy to think just 4 months ago, I had never talked to this boy in my life.

"Thanks. What a friend!" I joked, tackling him and giving him a hug.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

"Well, I think that's all of the boxes, Hat." My Aunt Kara said, putting her hands on her hips. The four of us were stuffed into Hattie's small dorm room.