9 - The Memory Demon

Jace led the five of them into a warehouse. It was empty, or so it looked, but Nina knew that there must be something - or someone - near. She took out her Seraph blade and held it up, keeping it close. They kept their weapons ready as they slowly walked deeper into the warehouse. Izzy was on her right, and Alec on her left. The warehouse look just like any other - boxes, shelves, and items all stored away. No lights hung from the ceiling, and the only thing illuminating their path was the light from their blades.  

"Magnus' lair is right behind that fence," Jace said as he pointed to the high fence.

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" Clary asked, making Nina snort at her stupidity. Jace shot her a look, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Not exactly," Jace replied, looking away from his sister. "Warlock Glamour."

Nina definitely knew something was off. She held up a hand to make them quiet. "Something's wrong. Its far too easy to get this close."

Jace nodded in agreement. "His protective wards must be down," he realized.

"You," Alec said to Clary. She turned to face him. "Don't get in the way," he said; Nina held in a snicker.

Suddenly they heard a bang, which had come from the direction of where Jace had pointed. Two men were fighting. One was struggling as the other held him over the edge with a blade to his stomach. They watched as the two continued fighting. Then one of them stabbed the other, and he fell over the ledge.

"Oh, God! Valentine found Magnus!" Clary shouted as they began running to the fence, Clary, of course, being last. She's too slow, Nina thought.

"Split up!" Alec said, and he being to Nina's left, the two went to the left while Jace and Izzy took the right. Clary kind of wandered, and Nina knew that if she didn't stay close to Jace and Izzy, she was going to get hurt.

Nina led Alec up two flights of stairs, and she was just about to round the corner when she saw two Circle members. She quickly pushed Alec and herself back, so the men wouldn't see them. Thankfully, they didn't notice.

Nina looked back at Alec. "There's two of them," she whispered. "Once we turn this corner, they'll be right on our 12. There's a door to our 1, so be prepared for more of them." Alec nodded and loaded his bow. Nina reached down to her shoe and pulled out two daggers.

Alec looked down at her, and nodded his head once, signaling to go. Both of them turned the corner as fast as they could, and before the Circle members could even understand what was happening, Nina threw one of the two daggers and Alec released his arrow. They  both hit their targets, sending them both to the floor.

Nina and Alec slowly approached the two bodies on the floor, and after making sure they were dead, made their way towards the door. Suddenly, a blonde Circle member swung the door open and she took out her Seraph blade. The woman didn't notice the two until Nina stabbed her with her other dagger, and she fell to the ground.

Behind the door was a fully decorated room. There was a blood red carpet, sparkling gold chandeliers from the ceiling, colorful artwork on the walls, and bookshelves. And in the middle of it, was Magnus Bane fighting a Circle member.

Alec loaded his bow, took aim, the released the arrow into the man's leg. Magnus the finished him off with a blow of his magic.

"Well done," Nina said to the two.

"More like medium-rare," Magnus replied as he looked down at the now dead body. Then he turned around to face the two.

"I'm Magnus. I don't think we've been formerly introduced," he said. "Although I do know Nina."