13 - Saving Luke

"I'm worried about Jace," Alec said as he looked out the window. They had returned to the Institute not too long ago. Izzy had gone to report back to her mother, while Nina and Alec were here, walking.

Nina didn't want to admit it, but she agreed with him. She was worried about her brother. But she decided to say something to lighten the mood, something that would convince them both that he was going to be okay. "When has he ever been unable to take care of himself? Come on, this is Jace we're talking about."

"Don't lie," Alec said, turning to face her. "I know you're worried about him too."

Before she could respond, Isabelle walked into the room.

"Mom's in rare form today," she said as she walked in. They turned to face her, and Nina noticed her sad eyes and hurt face. That was rare with Izzy.

"She's been different since she got back from Idris," Nina said, looking at her. It was true. Maryse had been a little more alert, a little more stern than usual.

"If you say so. Same old judgmental Mom with me," Izzy sighed, looking at her Parabatai. Nina gave her a sympathetic smile. She smiled back sadly and turned to her brother. "Have you spoken to Jace yet?"

"He can call me when he's done chasing the little girl," Alec huffed.

"Alec, you need to call Jace," Izzy told him, and Nina agreed. They couldn't get into anymore trouble, not with Maryse and Robert at the Institute.

"No welcome home for the old man?" They heard a familiar voice ask. The three turned around to find Robert standing by the door, accompanied by Max. Both had smiles plastered on their faces.

"Max!" Alec and Nina exclaimed, and he ran up to hug them at the same time.

"Daddy!" Izzy said, jumping up to hug her father.

"What are you doing back so soon?" Alec asked, as he and Nina crouched down to meet the young boys eyes.

"Got in trouble in Mumbai," he said, looking down at his feet.

"Oh, what'd you do?" Nina asked, raising his chin so his eyes met hers.

"Nothing," he muttered, though he had a mischievous grin on his face.

"He started a fire with his stele during rune studies," Robert explained, looking down at his son with disappointment." Nina fist bumped Max when Robert wasn't looking and smirked.

"Looks like he takes after you and Jace," Alec told her with a grin, and she laughed.

Izzy came up to hug her younger brother. "Max," she said, ruffling his hair.

"I told you, I was hungry. I was trying to draw the Nourishment rune," he explained.

Nina laughed. "Those two runes look nothing alike, Max."

"Well, they do to me," he huffed.

"Max, go up to your room, open the Grey Book and look up the Extinguish rune," Robert ordered. Max sighed and went out the door, and turned around to give them a look that said, what? Alec and Nina smiled at him, and she couldn't help but notice Alec's smile. That was the smile that she loved. She wished he did it more often.

"Where is Clary Fairchild? Your mother said she's missing," Robert demanded, and the smile faded from their faces.

Alec and Nina stood up, and she noticed how much taller he was than his father. She had to admit, it even looked kind of funny.

"She's not missing. She's with Jace," Alec told Robert, a tone to his voice.

"We can't have that girl out of Institute control. The entire Shadow World is looking for her. It's a security risk. Get them both back here now," Robert said, before leaving the room.