23 -The Trial

"Will I survive if I touch it?" Magnus asked nervously as he looked at the Soul Sword in front of him. Nina fought the urge to laugh, and her dirty mind floated elsewhere.

Everyone had been ordered to be present at the trial, so here they were. The Inquisitor was sitting high up in her pathetic royal throne, and Izzy was sitting up front. Nina had straightened the girl's hair, and suggested she wear a tight, yet elegant blue dress, which she had. On the other side of the aisle was Lydia. Nina glared at the back of her head, silently shooting lasers at her hair. Alec sat on the brunette's left, bouncing his leg up and down out of nerves.

"If you tell the truth," the Inquisitor said, obviously annoyed. Magnus placed his hands on the handle of the Sword.

The Silent Brother put his hands up. "By the power of this Sword, do you swear to defend your client with integrity and honesty?"

"No argument from me on that," Magnus said quickly, then took his hands off the Sword and turned to the Inquisitor.

"Make your case, Warlock," she said.

"My case is simple," Magnus said confidently. "It is true that Isabelle Lightwood acted against the orders of the Clave by trying to free the Seelie, Meliorn. But she did not act against the interests of the Clave. Preventing the forced questioning and possible death of a Seelie may have saved the Accords."

"We're not here to speculate what might have happened if the defendant hadn't interfered," she replied.

"You mean what might have happened if she hadn't stopped the Silent Brothers from torturing a Seelie?" Magnus asked, and this was a good point. Everyone in that room knew that torture is exactly what the Clave was planning on doing.

The Inquisitor rolled her eyes. "I await a valid argument. Do you have one?"

"What you really want is the Mortal Cup," Magnus said, astonishing everyone. "My client doesn't have it. Since this whole proceeding isn't about what it's really about, I move to have this case dismissed."

"You're out of order," she snapped.

"No. This whole thing is out of order. It's not Isabelle's fault. It's the Cup!" he said, raising his voice. "Put the Cup on trial!"

Magnus, obviously angry, (so much to the point Nina could almost see the steam rising from his ears), took a seat next to Isabelle.

Lydia stood up. "I'd like to call Isabelle Lightwood to the stand," she said, and motioned for Izzy to take a seat.

Izzy flipped her hair over her shoulder and stood up, then walked over to the stand, her heels clicking. She sat down, her posture straight, and her eyes met Nina's.

Izzy was nervous. By the Angel, she was scared. She was hiding her fear with confidence, but the second her eyes met her Parabatai's, that wall broke. Only Nina could see through her, only Nina could see her true feelings. That was the kind of bond they shared.

Lydia paced in front of Izzy, her arms crossed. Nina's nerves began to rise as a high knot formed in her stomach. Her leg began to bounce up and down, and she raised her right hand and began to run her fingers through small strands of hair, a habit she had picked up when she was nervous or tired, or in deep thought. This was it. This was the moment that would decide Izzy's conviction or her freedom.

She didn't have to look at Alec to know he was nervous now. She could feel it. Their hands were a fraction of a millimeter from each other, and Nina wanted nothing more in that moment but to intertwine their fingers right then and there, but she didn't. She reminded herself that she was supposed to be mad at him because of his marriage, after all. The nerves in her body tightened, as she prepared for the worst.