18 - The Engagement

"She calls Meliorn in and arrests him, then acts like it's all out of her hands," Izzy exclaims, pacing around. Izzy and Nina had gone to check on Alec, who was currently practicing with a punching bag.

"You're gonna hurt yourself," Nina told him. And right when she said it, he hit his arm, which she guessed started to sting.

"I'm fine, Nina. It was the Clave that gave the order, not Lydia," he said, turning to face her.

"Are you sure about that?" Izzy asked.

"Hey, you all right?"Jace asked, walking into the training room.

"I'm fine," Alec responded, and Nina went up to go hug her brother.

"I just spoke to Robert and Maryse. They're being sent back to Idris," he said, and she pulled away from the hug and stood next to him.

"What?" Izzy asked, looking at him.

"Yeah."

"Another "order" from Lydia?" Izzy asked annoyed, looking at her brother, who rolled his eyes.

"Who's Lydia?" Jace asked, looking at Nina.

"She's in charge of the Institute," she said bitterly.

"She's what?" Jace asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Temporarily," Alec sighed.

"And now she's convinced the Clave that Mom and Dad aren't doing their job?" Izzy said, looking at her brother, clearly upset.

"Well, maybe they aren't," Alec snapped. "The Institute was under their control when the Forsaken got in."

"What are you talking about?"Jace asked, and Nina closed her eyes, knowing what was coming.

"Mom and Dad were members of the Circle," Alec finally let out. She fought the urge to holler 'whoop! There it is!"' She knew it would be bad timing.

"What? They don't have Circle runes," Izzy said, in utter disbelief.

"That's because they made a deal with the Clave prior to the Uprising. In exchange for their cooperation, they were pardoned," Alec replied, and Jace and Izzy were shocked.

"You're questioning their loyalty?" Jace asked him.

"Valentine is back. The Circle is rising. They're under suspicion," Alec siad.

"No way," Jace said, crossing his arms. "Robert and Maryse took my sister and I in. They raised us as one of their own. We know what kind of people they are," Jace said, not wanting to believe it.

"It's true Jace," Nina said, after being silent for all this time. "I don't wanna believe it, but its true."

"They lied to us. For years, they've been telling us how to act. That we have to uphold the Lightwood name. Well, they're the ones who tarnished it. They're hypocrites," Alec spat, and just then Lydia walked in.

"You must be Jace Wayland. Lydia Branwell," she said, standing next to Alec, and held out a hand. When he didn't shake it, and just kept his arms crossed, she brought her hand back."You and your sister are quite the legend back in Idris," she said.

"Don't believe everything you hear," Jace said, and he and Nina smirked at each other.

"Did you tell them?" Lydia asked looking at Alec.

"Tell us what?" Izzy asked bitterly.

"Lydia and I are engaged. We're getting married." As Alec said this, time seemed to stop.

"You're not serious," Jace said, angry.

"You were supposed to tell them "no." It's your life to ruin," Izzy said in disbelief, anger, and frustration. She turned around and walked away, her heels clicking as she did so.