25 - Staying Up

Nina had tossed and turned all night, but had failed to fall asleep again. So instead of staying in her room, she quietly made her way to the library, making sure not to wake anyone. As she sat on her favorite red sofa in the library, she read books until the crack of dawn.

It had been a while since she had visited the library, unfortunately. This was due to the fact that she simply did not have the time, with running around mission after mission for Clary. So although she knew it wasn't much, she cherished the few hours she had in the library before everyone woke up.

"Hey," a voice said quietly, not far from where Nina was sitting. She didn't have to look up from her book to know that this was Clary.

"Here to drag me onto another mission?" Nina asked, not looking up at her.

Clary sighed. "No..uh...I actually just wanted to talk to you."

Nina flipped the page. "So you're not here to tell me that you're secretly a Kardashian? Because I wouldn't be surprised. Fray, Fairchild, Morgenstern..."

"Can you please just drop the sass and sarcasm for one second?" Clary said, annoyed that Nina had not looked at her once since she had came in. "It's important. It has to do with what Valentine said about us being-"

"Unfortunately, I'm not interested in talking to you right now. Also, dropping the sass and the sarcasm is impossible. I don't want to talk about anything other than yesterday's episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians."

"You watch that show?" Clary asked, clearly surprised.

"No," Nina replied, dead serious. She hadn't looked up at Clary the whole time, and flipped the page.

"Nina," Clary pleaded, some desperation in her voice. She took a seat next to the brunette, which caught her attention. Nina raised an eyebrow at Clary, sighed, closed the book, and held it on her lap.

"Fine," Nina sighed, finally giving in. "What do you need to talk to me about? Make it fast, I have a wedding to avoid."

Clary nearly cracked a smile. "I uh... I just felt we needed to address the fact that me and you-"

"You and I."

"-are related," Clary finished, ignoring her comment. "I know, it's a big shock to me too, but I think it'll make you feel better if we talk about it. Also, I'm sorry the truth was revealed in such a bad way."

Nina chuckled and set the book on a table in front of her. "It's cute. You assume I have feelings. Save the apologies for the Mundanes."

Clary rolled her eyes. "Jace said the same thing when we went to the City of Bones."

Nina shrugged and let out a small smirk. "What can I say? He's my brother."

Clary suddenly frowned and looked down at her hands. "Yeah, uhhh...mine too."

Now it was Nina's turn to frown. She looked up at the ceiling, ignoring Clary.

"Are you even listening right now?" Clary sighed.

"Sure, it just takes me a long time to process so much stupid stuff at once."

She huffed in response. "I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you!"

"And I'm trying to avoid it."

Nina took a deep breath and looked at Clary. "Look, Clary honestly, I don't want to have this conversation with you right now. I don't care, we can talk about this when we find Valentine and kill him, okay? And if you need to talk to anyone, it's Jace."