Chapter 4: Blood Ties

"Your mother... She was my sister."

Words bounced in their head, Sabbath dodging his head and punching their opponent's gut. He stepped back, trying to resist coughing and making his throat burn at him forcing that cough down. Teary eyes looking up at Sabbath. "Ab-abs of steel... Didn't hurt."

They thought it was stupid, spinning around to give a round house to his jaw. Or at least that's what he thought, turning to block the attack. Sabbath grinned when they saw their opponent grin, getting cocky, and changed their position. Dropping into a handstand while kicking him full force in the jaw, staying in that handstand position.

"Stupid bitch..." Their opponent hissed, holding their injured jaw before picking up the fallen wooden knife. Sabbath quickly pushed themselves off the ground, jumping from their handstand position. Sliding back in the dirt with a narrowed look in their eyes, the guy they were facing seemed unnerved at the predatorily look in their eyes. Th-they don't look human...

This felt more like survival to him, like he was gonna die if he lost. He didn't want to die! His hand beginning to shake, wondering if someone who actually kill their other cadet. "Drop the knife."

Wh-when did she get so close? He thought, panicking and leaning back. Panic in their eyes as they were breathing heavy, body shaking more. He wanted to survive, he would have to kill them, they were going to kill him!

Sabbath knew that look, their opponent was distressed, going into a panic meltdown. Surviving only on instinct at this point, there would be no reasoning...

He coughed as he hit the ground, their foot had kicked him in the gut. Dirt filling his mouth, his body shaking and struggling to get up with the wind knocked out of his lungs. Sabbath could keep trying to reason with him, but didn't see a point. Picking up the collar of his shirt, fist slamming in his face.

"You're related to that bitch?" Erwin's eyes widened at hearing Sabbath's cold tone. Sharp red eyes glared at the commander, Levi standing in surprise at hearing someone talk to Erwin like this. Suddenly getting reminded about himself when he was younger.

Blood splattered across the dirt, others slowly stopping their training at noticing that Sabbath wasn't letting up.

"Why aren't you excited? You're meeting family you never have before-"

"I want nothing to do with those monsters."

"B-but the Caddels were model perfect-" Erwin was arguing, taking up for his dead sister. Sabbath narrowing their eyes. "Maybe on the outside. But you truly didn't know them. It was hell."

"What..."

Someone mentioned for someone else to go get the officers. Sabbath was lost in their thoughts, unfocused as they kept punching their opponent. He was no longer conscious, bones already broken in his face.

"We found a way to save your sister, all you have to do is give up your own life. It's easy."

"CADDEL!" Shadis yelled, Sabbath's blood stained fist was stopped in the air. Breathing heavy and unfocused red eyes were stuck on their opponent's unrecognizable face. Shadis grabbed Sabbath's arm, jerking them back as others dragged off the unconscious male.

"What the hell is wrong you cadet?" Shadis asked, tightening his hands on their shoulders to get their attention. Finally, they came back and looked up at Shadis. Anyone could see the indifference in their eyes, the annoyance boiling just beneath the surface.

What did those parents do to her that causes for such a reaction... Sabbath seemed to be distant even since Erwin told her the news. Shadis thought, watching them closely as if the answer was magically gonna form in thin air. "Are you back with us Caddel?"