Twenty One

Newt's POV

I paced back and forth. What if he didn't like it? What if I did too much? Mentally, I slapped myself, telling myself that he'd love it. There was still a few minutes before Thomas would be here. A few more minutes for me to go over everything. This had to be perfect. Things like this-things that could be perfect, that is-is what I'm best at. Some could call me a perfectionist.

From behind me, I heard a branch break, followed by a thump. Shortly after that, I heard a voice start cursing. I ran to where he heard it. Sure enough, lying on the ground was his Tommy. Even though it was clear that he was in pain, I rolled my eyes.

"Your laugh can't cure pain, you know," Thomas laughed despite being in pain. I chuckled and ran to help him up. When I got him to his feet, he yelped and brought his left foot up.

"You know, Tommy," I put his arm around my shoulder and started walking him to the hospital, "there can't be two of us with a limp."

"Oh yeah, because I was totally trying to trip and fall," Tommy giggled, nearly doubling over, causing us to almost fall.

"Wouldn't surprise me," I sighed. We walked the rest of the way to the hospital. When we got there, we got checked in and we were waiting for the doctor. After about five minutes the doctor and a nurse came in.

"Hello," one of the men greeted us, "I'm doctor Clint. This is Nurse Jeff. So before we begin, is there anything you want to tell us?" Thomas shook his head, waiting for the doctor to continue, "Okay, so we're going to do a few basic exams then I'll be back and I'll take you to get some x-rays of your foot."

Thomas nodded again. Doctor Clint left, leaving us with Nurse Jeff. He started checking Thomas' pulse, listening to his heartbeat, and all that good stuff that you have to go through at the hospital. It took about ten minutes before Nurse Jeff left to go get Doctor Clint. When the doctor took Tommy, I had to stay behind. The doctor didn't know how long it would take for them to be back, so I had to wait blindly.

An hour later and Doctor Clint brought Thomas back. I hugged him when he sat up. The doctor gave us a smile and said that he had to go look at the x-rays and that he'd be back with the results.

Yet another hour later, Doctor Clint was back. "Well," he said, glancing at Thomas' foot, "his ankle is broken in three places. It's not major, but he will have to get a cast on it for about a month and a half. I've had it scheduled and he gets it in about-I'd guess-five minutes." With that, Doctor Clint walked out. Sure enough, roughly five minutes later, they had Thomas in to get his cast.

After that, we had to get crutches then we were able to leave.

"I'm sorry, Newt," Tommy said after we had left the hospital.

"What for?" I asked.

"For ruining the surprise," Tommy looked down in sadness.

"Don't be sorry, Tommy," I practically yelled, making him flinch slightly. "You didn't ruin the surprise. Here, when you get that cast off, I'll have a bigger, better surprise waiting for you."

"Are you sure?" Tommy looked back up, smiling now.

"I am absolutely sure," I smiled. "Your birthday is coming up. The big ol' 19 years old." Tommy chuckled and nodded. "Oh yeah, uh, I know we broke up between this, but it was for like three days, so it doesn't count. So, happy three months. Wow, I can't believe I was working on the surprise for two months." Not that I could help what day it was. At my last sentence, Tommy looked down again. "I'll have that same surprise ready a year from now, okay? It'll be the same thing, just a little delay. But until that time comes, don't think that you ruined it."

Thomas nodded and I smiled. Next year was going to be magical. I can't wait for Tommy to see the surprise. Now, to think of something to do for next month.

A/N: Sorry, not sorry. I didn't know what the surprise was going to be until have way through writing this chapter and didn't want to erase everything. So yeah, next chapter will have a surprise (unless you want me to do a chapter in between). Also, it's been five days since the last time I updated this *sigh* I'll update sooner next chapter