13. Library

Hi, Aunt M.

Of course I'll do the dishwasher.

I already did all the week's chores yesterday, so...

Can I go to the library?

Thank you!

Hi Riley!

I was detoured by my aunt trying to make me do all the chores. I finished the dishes like as fast as possible.

So, let's go!

What are your favorite books?

I need to get enough books to last me two weeks 24/7. so, roughly half a shelf XD I read all the time.

yeah, reading is one of the best things i do at home. it's like I get transported into another world. I basically have a third home, in the world of my books. back in my old library, I basically memorized the location of my favorite series: Harry Potter, Warriors, Inheritance Cycle, all the good ones.

Okay. I'l meet her.

Hi. So, you're the librarian?

So, where's the fantasy section, Riley?

I can already tell this is your favorite place here. You look like this was your childhood. My fantasy section was, at least.

Well, what's a girl gonna do, buy the entire series? No. So the solution is to live in the library. and check out entire series at once.

This place is way cozier than where I live.

No, not home. Home is where the heart is.

My heart is... somewhere. Maybe in my old house, maybe in my books, not there though.

Yeah. It's in my letters.

One day, you can read them.

Well, I'll go check these books out.

... okay.

Apparently, I have to have my aunt here to get a card. can I check mine out on yours?

Thanks.

See you! I'll try to call if I can, have a nice break!

________________________

Yeah, I guess you didn't hear me come in.

I'm back. I'll be in my room. Happy holidays!

Mom? Dad?

Has it gotten harder to breathe over the past few weeks, or is it just her?

The mask, it isn't good. I feel suffocated even more when I wear it.

But it's not the mask that hurts me the most.

_____________________________

Aunt M?

Sorry' I'm not wearing my mask.

Well, I'm not wearing it when I sleep, so I just forgot to put it on

...

She yelled at me, and now...

Now she's going to check my mask all the time, to make sure I I have it on when I sleep. She said that she didn't want me in the first place, that she only took me in because she had to, and that she didn't want to die because I was "poisoning the air."

What am I going to do?

Shoot. She's coming.

Hi. Yeah. I have my mask on, see?

Yeah, I know, you'll be checking in the night.

Well, good night.