3.8

Anna was gone. 

The hallway was deserted. All of the guards were outside, fighting the Gifteds. A few had started after me, but Aero Chord had taken care of them. Compared to the noise outside, the hall was eerily quiet, even though I could hear them outside. The door that said HIGH VOLTAGE was ajar, so I pushed it open quickly, hoping I wasn't too late. Hoping I could at least save one of them.

Gus was still slumped over, barely conscious. I slid to the floor next to him and tried to figure out how to get the strange box things away from his hands. "Gus," I murmured, shaking him slightly. "Are you awake?"

He groaned softly, barely able to nod his head.

"I'm getting you out of here." I ran my hands across the machine that was taking his electricity, and suddenly, he lurched forward and let out a scream. His entire body convulsed in agony, and the cubes on his hands lit up an electric blue, pulsing brighter every time he screamed. "Gus!" I yelped. "What's - are you -" 

"Make it stop!" he screamed, tears flowing down his bruised face. He tried to twist his body away from the pain, but of course nothing happened.

"How?" I yelled. All he did was scream in response. I didn't know what to do, and I was scared and frustrated. I couldn't think. "How do you shut off this stupid machine?" I swore loudly and slammed my fists down on the box. It didn't do anything, but I caught sight of something on the side of the machine. An emergency stop button. I quickly smashed the button and everything went dark. 

Gus sucked in a huge breath and nearly passed out right then and there. He broke into a coughing fit, and then the boxes released his wrists and he crumpled on the floor, barely breathing.

"Come on," I said. "We have to get out of here before they find us."

I reached for him, but he flinched away. "Don't touch me," he breathed. "I don't wanna hurt you."

"You're not going to hurt me," I said, and I meant it. I'd always been afraid of Gifteds, but now that was changing, and I wasn't sure why.

When I touched his arm, the static shocked me hard, but I winced and helped him to his feet. "Can't do it," he whispered, his entire body shaking like a leaf.

"Yes, you can. One step at a time." You have to do it. I won't leave you here again. 

We staggered to the door and I hesitated, glancing around for guards. I couldn't see anything. Were they all still outside? The noise of the fight had mostly died down now, and I hoped most of the Gifteds were out and on the streets, where they'd be safer. I lifted Gus by his underarms and we took a few steps. He was barely breathing. I hoped I wasn't too late. 

I didn't know where the door was, but we rounded a corner - very slowly - and I noticed a gaping hole in the wall, probably where David had destroyed it to get everyone in. I helped Gus over the rubble, taking extra care to avoid the unstable places, and took a breath of city air. It didn't taste any different than the games' air. There was still terror seeping into my bones. 

Where was Braken and Leo and Varien? Where had Anna gone? Was she okay? Was everyone okay, or were they all dead? 

I tried to block these questions out of my mind as we struggled out into the open street, but they nagged at my thoughts until I couldn't think about anything else. I couldn't focus on even putting one foot in front of the other. 

Gus stumbled, and we both fell hard on the pavement. I could already hear at least a dozen soldiers coming after us. Our escape wasn't as subtle as I thought. They had us surrounded in a minute, guns drawn - everything from pistols to rifles. We were as good as dead. 

"Get on your knees with your hands on your head," one of them ordered. 

We didn't move. Gus was barely conscious. 

"I said, get on your knees with your hands on your head!" the soldier shouted again. 

Before I could even take a breath, a gunshot rang through the streets. I flinched forward, my brain trying to figure out if I'd been shot, but the soldier to my right collapsed, bleeding from a gaping hole in his head.

My vision tipped and I almost passed out, but just managed to stay upright as three more shots came from a building to my left. The soldiers - the ones who hadn't been shot, anyway - had all turned and were aiming their own weapons, leaving only one to keep us contained. They were nervous, I could feel it. Honestly, even though they were trying to capture us, I didn't blame them. I was terrified, and the mystery sniper wasn't even shooting at me. 

The soldier who'd assumed command after the first had been killed shouted a few orders, but he was shot down before he could finish them. The rest of the soldiers scattered but stayed close, taking cover and searching for the threat. I started to carry Gus another step, but someone shouted, "You! Don't move! On your knees with your hands on your head!"

This time, I was too terrified to consider anything else. I dropped to my knees and let go of Gus, who slumped over and didn't move. 

The gunshots had stopped. Everyone was still pointed in that direction, but no one fired on either side. Then someone dropped down from the building only a few feet away and took off running in the opposite direction, away from us. I couldn't tell who it was from where I knelt. 

Three of the remaining five soldiers went after him. As soon as they were gone, the two left stood up and came toward us, but again, two shots came from the roof and they both fell. I heard someone curse as the second soldier screamed - the bullet missed its mark and hadn't killed him. I didn't dare move. 

Another person dropped from the roof, coming toward us this time. It took me a second, but I quickly recognized his voice as he called to us. "Joel, get Gus and let's move!"

"Eoin!" I almost cried in relief. "You're here, you - you shot ..." I glanced at the eight dead soldiers surrounding me. The ninth one, the one who was still alive, groaned loudly. 

"Yeah, I'm here. Don't mention it. Ever. Come on." Eoin grabbed Gus's arm and helped me haul him up to his feet. "Don't worry, Gus, I'm getting you out of here," he murmured, and a ghost of a smile played across his friend's face.

The going was much quicker with another person carrying Gus, and we made it down two streets before I asked a question. "Eoin, where'd you get that rifle?" My eyes kept flickering back to the gun he had slung over one shoulder. 

He glanced at me and then returned his gaze back in front of us. "Stole it. I defected, remember? I had to have some way to protect myself."

"And - and you have the best shot I've ever seen -"

"I know. That's why they hated to lose me." He let out a strained laugh. "Best sniper they had." 

I didn't know what to say. My arms were hurting, and my limp was growing worse with every second. "Oh," I said.

We only made it a few more steps before someone else stumbled into us. I immediately recognized him. "J-Joel," Aaron said, gasping for breath. He was bleeding from his shoulder, his thigh, and in two places on his stomach. I thought it was a miracle he was still alive.

"Aaron, what happened?" I asked quickly, passing Gus over to Eoin.

Aaron was barely able to speak, much less stand. He collapsed in my arms as soon as I let go of Gus. "I ... it - it doesn't matter." He cut off with a coughing fit. "I'm supposed ... t-t-to tell you ..." He cringed and squeezed his gut tighter. "Braken's ... still back there ..."

My heart nearly stopped. "Caught?"

He shook his head. "Don't think so."

I made a split second decision. "Eoin, stay with Aaron. Make sure he doesn't ... he doesn't die. All Gus needs is rest. I'll be right back."

"Joel, wait -" Eoin called, but I was already sprinting down the street, back to the games.