27. The Drive

"Do you need help packing?" one of the nurses asked me. I wasn't sure where I was headed but I had to think fast. I was simply told to pack my things up and be ready to leave by noon. I wasn't sure if the therapist called the shelter like she insisted on doing, but I knew someone had to pick me up because I had to be released under care.

I sat on my white sheets and shook my head, my body exhausted from everything happening around me. My anxiety began to increase due to the uncertainty of what was to happen.

I felt as if I was entering the foster care system again where there were rules to follow and a curfew to obey. This wasn't what I wanted.

After breakfast I moved my things out of the room and into the hallway facing the entrance. I mentally calculated what would happen if I simply took off through the doors after someone entered.

All I had to do was wait until it was open and run for it. I was a grown woman, would they really care if I left?

"Hi," came a familiar voice. Her smile was infectious and warm. The familiarity of her face took me by surprise and without much thought; I stood up and embraced her tightly.

"What... what are you doing here?" I muttered with my eyes closed. She smelt the same but her hair was much shorter than I remembered.

"I'm here to bust you out." her accent was evident now; it brought a sense of comfort.

"But," I shook my head. She wiped tears from my eyes as I wiped them from hers.

"Look at you. You're skinner than a string bean." she held me away from her body to examine me.

I felt ashamed in my skin, disappointed that I wasn't able to remain how she remembered me. "Sorry."

"Darlin' don't apologize." she hugged me tighter, kissing me head.

"I need to get out of here." I muttered to her, completely surprised she showed up.

"Yes, yes," Danny nodded, taking my hand.

"We should have lunch, catch up a little before you head back." We walked hand in hand like we use to do in the town square when we shopped. She was home to me and I didn't want to let go of her so soon.

"Absolutely." She squeezed my hand and smiled whole-heartedly. When we got to the receptionist, she signed me out and signed documents agreeing to be my temporary guardian.

"I'm so sorry you had to come down here." I mumbled after she signed the fifth document page.

"Are you kidding me? I would do it again in a heartbeat. I haven't seen you in months." She handed back the pen to the lady who buzzed us out.

It was slightly chilly outside since the sun had gone down. The fresh air felt great against my skin and my hair.

The loud noise from all the honking cars stuck in a line up filled my head. Danny pulled out her phone to call a cab so I sat on the bench with my backpack in my lap.

When the blue Pickup truck pulled up in front of me, a whole new panic attack began.

"C'mon," Danny muttered as she reached for my bag. I refused, holding tight. The windows were tainted so I couldn't see inside of it, but I knew he was in there. He was in there.

"Why is he here?" I croaked.

"Did you really think I could drive all this way?" Danny muttered softly. "The doctor said you shouldn't have any stressors, Angel. Stop hyperventilating."