31. Permission

I woke to an empty bed.

I stretched and yawned as I thought of what to do today. I picked up my phone and dialled Danny's number. "Again today? You really getting into this phone thing, huh?" she giggled. "Stop." She moaned.

"What?" I asked.

"Not you, Emmett." she squealed in my ear.

"Should I call back?" I muttered.

"No, no. He's about to leave." I heard muttered talking in the back ground and then questionable smacking noises before she was back to the receiver. "Sorry."

"I have all day. Literally."

She sighed. "Yeah, I'm bored too."

"Why can't we open back the diner?"

"I don't know what to do without him, Angel. He did everything," she pouted over the phone.

"We have been running that diner for months. Pa was working too hard when he was there."

"But someone had to pick up after you left..." she mumbled. We got quiet on the phone as tears came back but I willed them away.

"You're right but I'm here now and I'm bored and broke."

"Okay, but I haven't been there since he passed."

"I'll meet you there. You're not doing it alone."

We agreed and hung up. I hurried to get ready for work; happy I was back to honest and guilt-free earnings.

The place was musty and dirty from being locked down so long. I heard noises in the kitchen but was stopped by Danny before investigating. "I called the cook. Luckily he was willing to come back without hesitation."

"Of course. People love this place, we the only diner here." I giggled. We got cleaning supplies and began to clean everything and rewashing plates. We then began to do inventory and dispose of expired products.

"Mornin'" a group of elderly ladies walked in and took a sat instantly.

I looked at Danny hesitantly. She disappeared into the kitchen to talk to Ben on what we had for the week. I served them coffee and tea before Danny came back from the office with printed papers.

"What's on this week menu." She gave a copy to me.

"That's not bad." the original menu was cut in half due to low supplies but these were the popular things regardless.

"We are running low on eggs though," she muttered.

"I'll go grab some." I insisted grabbing my purse.

"Are you sure?" she called.

"Of course."

We rest of the day we stayed busy. Everyone was happy the diner was back up and running, they even over-tipped me. I was surprised when the guys walked in but then remembered Danny probably told Emmett we opened today. She walked over to them in a heartbeat, clearly excited to see her man. I kept busy, not wanting to look Kenneth in the eye. I felt like we were in a weird place from last night. Sex usually cleared everything up but we weren't having any and I was in unfamiliar territory.

"They make me want to puke." Clayton mumbled when he walked over to hug me.

"It's cute."

"All his life this guy was in love with her, he didn't tell her, he kept it quiet. And yet he still gets her?" he fumed.