Four

Silence.

The hall is completely silent I stare at my parents, my mouth agape and my eyes wide with shock. I haven't taken a breath since my father uttered those ten words to me. Those ten gratifying words that I know will change my life forever. After about 20 seconds of silence, I finally find the courage to speak.

"What did you just say?" I whisper.

I'm hoping...no I'm praying this is some type of sick joke. That everyone will burst out laughing and that my family and I will leave this godforsaken hellhole and return to the comforts of California. But no one is laughing. They're all staring at me with stony expressions, awaiting my reaction.

No. No this can't be true. This can't be happening.
My parents wouldn't force me to marry a complete stranger, right?
They wouldn't sell me like some prize dog with no regard to my feelings or desires.

Right?

"Valentina," my father begins, and my heart sinks. It completely sinks to the floor because at that moment, it becomes painstakingly evident that they have sold me off.

"The reason why we came to Chicago was to finalize arrangements with Seamus and Ailene regarding your marriage to Alexander. We didn't want to tell you earlier on in fear of you reacting harshly."

"Oh, heavens forbid, Papa." I sneer sarcastically "How sinful it would be for me to react harshly when finding out my own parents sold me off like a damn dog!"

"Watch your mouth, Valentina." my father snaps, "I will not tolerate your disrespect."

"How long?" I whisper "How long have you guys been planning this 'arrangement?'"

"A year." my father replies, his voice nonchalant as if he doesn't understand how messed up this situation is. As if he's perfectly fine with forcing his daughter to commit herself to a complete stranger.

"A year? A YEAR?!" I shout, my voice rising "You've known for a year! Three hundred and sixty-five days! And you didn't even mention this to me? Something that directly impacts my life? Do you even realize how messed up this whole situation is?"

"Valentina, stop overreacting." Papa sighs, running his hand through his hair.

Overreacting?

Overreacting?!

Pure unfiltered rage begins to course through my body. The back of my eyes burn painfully with anger as my body quakes with reverence. I ball my hands into two tight fists, my nails digging into the inside of my palm  and cutting the skin. But I'm desensitized to the pain. All I feel is the rage. Rage and deep, agonizing betraying.

I'll show them 'overreacting.'

"I'm not doing it," I say sternly, crossing my arms over my chest. "I won't marry him."

"Valentina, don't start." My father hisses, his voice growing cold, his blue eyes narrowing dangerously into two icy slits. He's getting angry. I can sense it. But I'm angrier.

"You didn't even consider what I wanted! You didn't consider my thoughts or feelings in any of this!"

"Your feelings are irrelevant. It's happening and there's nothing you can do about it."

"NO!" I scream, my rage finally exploding. "I WON'T DO IT."

"VALENTINA!" my father roars. His booming cry echoes through the spacious hall, quaking the house. A deafening silence envelope the environment as my father and I glare at each other, facing off.

After a few minutes, he sighs before running his hand through his hair yet again.

"Follow me, Valentina. I need to have a talk with you in private."
........................................................................