Eight

Married. 

In two weeks.

The words are still completely flabbergasting to me. Just yesterday, I was barely wrapping my head around the prospect of marrying in general. But now...

Now I was marrying Alexander Cavanaugh in 2 weeks.

In fourteen days. 

In 336 hours.

Jesus Christ, my head is spinning again.  How did my life change so drastically in the span of 2 days?  Lost in my deep thoughts, I barely hear the soft, hesitant knock on my bedroom door.

"Miss?" A soft voice echos from outside the door. "May I come in?"

"Sure." I say, sitting up on the bed.

A young women with lovely dark skin dressed in a white, button top and black trousers enters the bedroom hesitantly.

"Miss, I was told by Mrs. D'Angelo to inform you that you're wanted in the main hall."

"Oh okay. Do you know why my mom wants me?" I inquire.

"For wedding preparations, Miss." the women replies.

Of course.

Wedding preparations.

Great.

I get up with a sigh and begin to smooth out the sheets when a loud gasps erupts from behind me. 

"Miss! No!" the women admonishes.

"What?" I ask nervously "Am I doing something wrong?"

"I'm supposed to make your bed!" she practically shrieks. 

"Oh...there's no need for that. I can make it." I reply with a kind smile, trying to get the women to calm down. But she won't stop shaking her head furiously and marching towards my bed.

"If Mrs. Cavanaugh saw me standing idly while you made the bed, she'll surely have me killed."

"I'm sure she wouldn't do that." I say with a laugh, shaking my head at the complete ridiculousness of the statement. But the women doesn't laugh. She gives me an incredulous look before quickly beginning her task of making the bed. 

Jesus.

She's not kidding.

I swallow nervously before speaking again.

"I'm...uh...I'm gonna take a shower." I mumble more to myself than to her.
"Do you need me to help you?" the women asks, already abandoning her task of making my bed and heading briskly towards the en suite bathroom. 

"I think I got it, but thanks for the offer." I reply hesitantly. 

I walk over to the bathroom and shut the door. I place my head against the bathroom door with a heavy thud and I sigh loudly.  With my luck this week, I have a feeling today is going to be another eventful day filled with surprises.

•••••••
After a steaming hot shower, I throw on light pink sweater with ripped dark blue jeans and make my way down the grand staircase. It's there I find my mother, Mrs. Cavanaugh, and Lalia standing next to the arching doors, chatting. 

Laila notices me first and immediately runs towards me, almost knocking me down to the floor as she plows into my stomach and wraps her small arms tightly around my waist.

"Hey, Munchkin. What's up?" I reply, returning her hug.

"Val! Mama said you're going shopping today! Can I come? Please? Can I come?"