Six

The roar of Alex's  Lamborghini Veneno racing down the deserted highway disturbs the quiet of the night as we make our way to God knows where.

Alex likes to drive fast.

And when I say fast, I mean 95 miles per an hour fast.

My heart has not stopped attempting to jump out of my chest since I got into this death chamber he calls a car.

If this is what it feels like to be on a roller coaster, I have no idea why people spend $100 every summer to go on them.

"Can you slow down?" I croak as I grab the arm rest for dear life.

"I am going slow." Alex's replies, glancing at me with confusion etching his features.

I stare at him, completely shocked.

"What?" Alex questions.

"Alex, you're literally going 90 miles per an hour! How is that slow in any way?"

"I usually go about 110. Trust me, this is slow."

"God, are you trying to kill yourself or something?"

Alex chuckles while reducing his speed to 70.

"Why have one of the fastest cars in the world if you're not going to utilize it for its full potential?"

"I don't know. For bragging rights?" I mumble.

"People who have to brag about their wealth possess no real wealth at all." Alex shrugs.

"So what are you saying? You possess real wealth?"

Alex smirks, but does not offer me a response.

Silence fills the car as we drive through the deserted street. I stoically watch the towering skyscrapers flash by my window in a blur. Lost in my own thoughts, I don't realize that Alex has slowed down and has turned into a sketchy neighborhood.

Houses with cracked windows, broken porches, and trash littering the dead grass stand haphazardly in the deserted neighborhood. Alex cruises slowly through the neighborhood for a few minutes and then stops in front of a old, run down building. A feeling of unease washes over my body as I shudder with anxiety.

"Uh...Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you sure we're at the right place?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"This doesn't seem like the type of place you would hang out at." I whisper fearfully.

Alex chuckles softly and parks the car.

"I actually hang out here a lot, Valentina." Alex replies.

"Why?"

"Work." He offers before stepping out.

I remain inside the safe comforts of the car, wondering why my parents sold me off to a man who is clearly mentally insane.

"You coming?" Alex asks.

"Just...give me a sec." I whisper, my voice wavering with fear.

Alex sighs and walks around to my side of the car. He opens my door and crouches down, so his eyes meet mine.

"Valentina, you have nothing to fear here. You're safe with me."

Safe with him? Alexander "The Butcher" Cavanaugh? Jesus, he has to be joking. I feel anything BUT save with this man.

"Come on. I promise you'll be fine." Alex extends his hand to me, waiting for me to take it. I glare at his outstretched hand with distrust.

I don't trust Alex. Not one bit.