Title: ChristmASS

A/N: This is an AU.

Loki needed a car.

It was all he thought about as he walked to work. He continued to think about it as he let himself into the library; as he performed his - now routine - scan for ghosts; as he darted around the room hanging various articles of his outer clothing on the radiators.

Well, technically he didn't NEED one – the walk to work was only twenty minutes and he could not really justify the expense – but it would have been nice not to have to trudge to work in the snow. Plus, maybe if he did get one he could expand his job seeking to further afield. Then perhaps he would actually find one.

He had spent the almost eight weeks since Halloween looking for a new job and had so far had zero luck. At first, he had panicked about having to come back to work after the Ouija board incident; when he got there, he startled at every noise, jumped whenever he thought he saw something in the corner of his eye.

Eventually, though, he had been too busy to bother with such things. He could now go most of a shift without having the time to even think about it.

When the time came for Loki to open up for the day, he ran round the room to gather all his drying clothes and throw them in the office.

He opened the door to find no one there. Saturdays were always slow in the mornings before getting busy in the afternoon. With the snow the way it was, perhaps it would be quiet all day.

Loki wondered if anyone would even turn up for the Tiny Tots session. He hoped so, there was a Father Christmas coming in to distribute the presents that Loki had bought. He couldn't remember just who it was who had the honour of dressing up this year: the male relative of someone from management, for a guess. The local childminders should come in, at least, they never usually missed a session. Of course, they might not even be working on Christmas Eve Eve.

As predicted, the day was a slow one. The Saturday assistant phoned up to say that she would not be able to make it in due to the snow. That seemed reasonable enough until Marjorie, the octogenarian volunteer who helped with Tiny Tots, walked through the door.

Marjorie looked around, taking in the Christmas decorations. "Oh, I'm glad you finally put these up. What took you so long?"

Loki, sat behind the counter and trying to hide his face, shrugged. "I've just been busy."

Marjorie took his answer at face value and shuffled off to set up for Tiny Tots.
What had actually taken Loki so long to put up the Christmas decorations was his reluctance to go down to the basement by himself. He had felt the eyes of that pervy ghost on him literally the whole time he was down there. Whenever he went anywhere near the basement, Loki would picture that dead pervert rubbing his hands together in glee anticipating another 'show'.

Truth be told, Loki could do with another show himself – preferably a private one this time. It wasn't as though nothing had happened with Thor since Halloween but less had happened than Loki would have liked.

Loki's phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out to see a message flash up from Thor. That was typical, Thor just happening to text as Loki was thinking about him. It was like he summoned him. The message was simple enough – 'How's work?' Loki was just typing back 'fine' when the phone rang.

"Hello, Gladsheim Library."

"Loki, I've got some bad news." It was Sandy, his manager.

"If it's about the Saturday assistant not coming in, she's already called me."

"No, it's Alan."

"Alan?" The name meant nothing to Loki.

"Tracy's brother-in-law, he was meant to be Father Christmas? I'm afraid he can't make it because of the snow."