Chapter Twenty : Pasta vs. Pizza

"Are you going to just stand there and scowl at the cars?"

Sofia jumped hearing the deep voice.

Whirling around, she faced an amused looking Max standing at the open door.

His words took her back to last night, when she stood at the door looking at this house for the first time. The only thing different was his tone, which was considerably calmer now.

His arms were crossed as he stood leaning against the door frame. Sofia noticed his sharp jaw—shaded with a light stubble, the bags under his eyes and disheveled hair. He looked tired and sleep deprived.

Keeping the door open, he straightened up and walked in.

Sofia followed him inside quietly. The soft click of the door locking was the only audible noise as she closed it behind her. Deciding to cook some pasta she walked towards the kitchen. She could clean up and change later, the most crucial thing now was to silence her hungry stomach.

"There's pizza in the freeze."

She jumped again.

Max was surprising her in every step, pun intended. Why was he still awake anyway? It was quite late at night.

She had thought if he stayed back at work till late, two birds would be killed with just one freaking stone—she would be able to avoid running in to Max and use the time to work hard to make her way to that one million.

She located him on the sofa, hunched over his laptop, looking away after briefly glancing at her direction. She turned around and started towards the kitchen again while stating over her shoulder, "I would prefer homemade food. I'm going to cook pasta, you want some?"

It seemed bizarre that they were talking almost normally to each other. The coldness was there, however, very much palpable in the air between them.

"You don't need to cook. I've ordered from city's one of the best five star restaurants. They make fantastic pizza and cheese steak—much more delectable than what all the other minor and cheap diners offer."

Sofia halted midstep.

Much more delectable!

Minor and cheap diners!

Was he provoking her? By belittling the food she cooked, by insulting her diner—the place that was so dear to her heart, the career which was more a passion.

She recalled that night when Neil tricked Max into visiting her diner. His despise towards the food she cooked had been so blatant then, and she was not blind to not realize that it procured almost entirely from the disdain he felt towards her.

"Then why don't you quietly enjoy your delectable pizza while I enjoy my pasta, however it is, in peace?" She countered defiantly.

Max raised a brow. "I've already eaten," he added, "My pizza."