Chapter Fifty : Dreams and Disasters

The bed felt cold, way too cold

Thinking that his wife had probably rolled away from his arms, with his eyes still closed he reached out to pat around the bed for that sneaky little thing. But his hands only found emptiness.

No Sofi!

His brows furrowed and eyelids clinched in confusion before snapping wide open. Springing up to a sitting position he looked at Sofi's side, and it was truly empty.

And that was when memories came back to him of last night as the haze of sleep eventually cleared off of his mind. Sighing, he rubbed a palm across his eyes and chuckled to himself.

Of course, he had dropped Sofi off at the Haydens' after that urgent phone call from Skyler.

Who knew what trouble his dear sister in-law was in?

Sighing, Max got up and headed towards the washroom.

The temptation to make a phone call to Sofi was strong – to inquire if he was needed, to make sure that she was coming back home today. But the most necessary purpose was to hear her voice. He knew he probably was sounding like a freaking sissy, but damn..., he missed her already. She was away since what... a couple hours perhaps, and this was how he had become.

However, he guessed Sofi was probably still asleep considering it was still very early and he didn't wish to disrupt her from taking a good rest for his selfish reasons. Some sisterly heart-to-heart counseling might have kept her up till late last night. Therefore, he restrained himself from grabbing the phone and dialing her number, or the Haydens' landline number – and demand they let him talk to his wife.

Instead, he decided he would transport himself over there at lunchtime.

He came downstairs with his laptop bag, some files that he would take to office and one of his law-books that he kept close most of the time for any quick and necessary surveys.

Debbie, who'd just completed scrubbing the floor of the dining hall, said that it would just take her ten minutes max to prepare breakfast for him.

Nodding with a thankful smile, Max pulled his chair back, and after putting everything from his hands onto the table, he sat himself down. Without wasting a moment, he dragged that heavy law-book of his closer to him. Flipping through pages, he stopped at a certain part.

There...

He smiled.

There was his Sofi, cradling a toddler into her arms. A soft smile playing on her enticing lips while one of her lustrous strands of hair carefully caressed the corner of her mouth. Her eyes had this dreamy look while she was just about to nuzzle her nose on the toddler's cute little head, as if she was trying to savor the milky scent that was usually possessed by kids of such tender age.

For the millionth time probably, Max stared at the picture with absolute awe and adoration.

One fine morning in his office, Max's secretary had showed him a tabloid that had exclusive photos from the Halloween tea party his complicated case of an aunt, Katherine, had thrown a day ago. Someone had clicked the photos and posted them on Insta, they'd gone viral soon after and inevitably found their way onto the tabloid. Max had found this picture of Sofia there, cradling the child of one of their major client. The caption under the image said - 'New wife of the Wilder heir, lost in an endearing moment. Dreaming of having their own?'