Chapter Thirty-six: A Promise of the Light

It was quiet in the balcony except for the random hissing sound of wind and some unknown night birds in the distance.

Sofia rubbed her arms gazing up at the sky.

Right after the party ended, she had changed out of her dress and got into the pants and comfortable t-shirt she had on before the party. Only her favorite earrings still adorned her ears, she was reluctant to remove them yet.

There were so many stars tonight, she noticed, they lit the entire sky as if there was a festival going on up there. Such a marvelous sight it was.

They were still at the mansion.

It was quite late when all the guests finally left. Both the Haydens and Wilders thought that it would be hazardous driving down the highway back into the city at such an ungodly hour of night. And so, all of them decided to stay for the night here. There were, after all, more than a dozen of rooms in the mansion.

Feeling warmth surrounding her, Sofia looked down to see a shawl was being wrapped around her upper body by a pair of hands.

"Better now?" Max asked, adjusting the shawl around her shoulders.

"Ah... yeah." Sofia involuntarily shivered when the back of his hand grazed beneath her chin.

"Thanks," she mumbled softly, and Max came up to stand beside her with a smile as a reply.

His elbows rested on the cold steel railing, and he, too, stared above at the stars.

Sofia's attention, however, was diverted from the stars now and towards this handsome man who wordlessly stood by her side. She watched him from the corner of her eyes and wondered how her nerd, her favorite geek, her wilderness, and the best friend in her teen days had changed so much. This new Max that had returned to her was kind and unforgiving; protective and vengeful; charming and cunning—all in one and then so much more. There were too many shades, and Sofia had tired herself counting.

"Max—"

Shadows of night hid his face as he turned to look at her.

"What now?" Sofia voiced the monumental question that had been lurking around them in silence the entire evening.

Now that all the recent misunderstandings were cleared and out in the open, what they were to do with their marriage?

She saw his shoulders turning stiff as if he had held his breath for a few moments. It was clear that he was struggling to come up with something.

"We won't be able to apply for a divorce in the next six months," It sounded as though he was saying something heavy. And heavy it actually was.

A pang of sadness hit her heart.