Chapter Thirty-four: Melody of All That Is Unsaid

Max watched Sofia, like a hawk.

Watching her like that had been his motto of life, since when he could not remember. The reasons may vary from time to time but the gist was always the same, he could not restrain himself.

His hold on her hand prevented her stumbling away from her family. And when she recovered from the initial shock, Sofia took a step forward, looking at her entire family at the other side of the threshold. She looked on with this hell lot of emotion that made him hold his breath. While her eyes shimmered with tears, his shone with wonderment.

Every person in the Hayden family had that same duplicate look on their faces as well. Their eyes taking her in as though they were memorizing something precious that had been lost and had just somehow, only by fortune was returned to them.

Max totally agreed. She was really one precious person, so full of life and strength. And he had almost succeeded in diminishing all that!

It was time to mend that.

It took just a moment before the whole family stormed towards her.

They were all soon inside the house. It was a cabin extended into a mini mansion—a property of the Wilders just outside the city, used for occasions, vacations and picnics; and was now being used for the purpose of reuniting one of the precious persons in his life to her family, to her happiness.

Sofia's hand slipped away from his as they took her from him and he had to contain the protest that tried to come out of his mouth so suddenly. He followed her instead as her cousin, Samuel, embraced her fiercely.

"Sofi, I missed you so much," Sam cried.

Max had heard Sofia talking to her cousins over the phone—he might have eavesdropped a little. But she had never gone over to the Hayden house in the past weeks to physically meet them. Sofia was too scared about her grandfather's reaction and health. It was only Skyler who appeared at the hospital and before that at Mary's as per Max had heard. So, of course, the poor boy Sammy had suffered the sudden and long absence of the mother like figure in his life, just as Sofia had suffered the distance from her family.