Prologue

To the shapeshifters a mate is sacred. They only get one, and he/she is the completion of the others soul.  To male werewolves, a woman's body should be treated with reverence. A woman regards her mate as a protector and lover. Not because she can't protect herself but because she doesn't have to. There's a difference.

Running; always running.

Colin Byrd could barely remember a time before he began running. He had to stay moving, never in the same place more than a few days. There were a few rules for a lone rogue such as he and that was one of them. Survival was key. Many many years ago when he had resigned himself to the Change and became lost in his fur, he had not known how to survive. His wolf had taken charge ensuring they lived. But even he had been baffled about certain things. How were they to survive without a pack? Wolves needed a family; they needed pack. Yet his had cast him out when it became apparent his fur was taking his skin. Too many moons he had been without his mate and he began the Change. He still remembered the heartbroken look on his mother's face, but it had grown blurry with time. He was locked in his fur form now, with little hope of ever Changing again, even if he found his mate.

He had been wandering the world, first as man and then as wolf, for a century, looking for her. Suppose  she was dead by now? Shape-shifters all found their mates by the time they reached a century, just twenty in human years. That was to ensure a space of time for pups. Man and woman, wolf and skin stopped aging at the human age of thirty. Unless killed, werewolves had the ability to live forever. Colin had never understood why he had never found his mate. Once he realized she wasn't among his small pack, he journeyed to the other two hidden deep in the mountains. But she was not there either. 

His mate, wherever she was, was human, he was sure. He had commenced a search to find her, traveling the world in his skin. He had looked for her that way for twenty years, before he returned, heartbroken to the mountains he called home. Once his family realized he was losing himself to his fur, he knew the decision they would have to make.

The ancient text actually dictated he be killed, but his parents did the next worse thing and broke the code by turning him out. They abandoned him. He was left to run wild. They never expected him to live. Most shifters that were cast out, died; from natural causes or from being slaughtered like the animals they were.

But he was still searching. Still looking for her. Maybe she hadn't been born yet. Maybe she was just out of his reach, but he knew she was there. She was his Promise.

........

On the outskirts of Anchorage, Alaska, in a small cabin all her own, lived Faye Anders. For the most part she lived happily, working at her job at a bookstore in town, and catching shifts as a waitress at the Krazy Moose in Wasilla, for her friend. But she was lonely. Sixteen years of her life she had lived with her father after her mother abandoned them, but he had died of a heart attack. She was alone in the world.

........

Hello there my little shapeshifters! Welcome to Under an Alaskan Moon. This is just a little prologue I will probably dispose of later on but for now it contains vital information to the book. It also gives the backstory of both of the main characters which is important. I will probably gradually let Colin and Faye reveal this to each other.

The Crazy Moose is a real restaurant in Alaska and serves delicious food! I had to throw that in there.

Thank you for taking time to check out my book and I hope you hang around for future chapters! Please vote and or comment! I love to hear from you guys.

Sincerely,

Scarlett McLeod