Chapter 3

Colin in his fur up above! Only he doesn't look like that right now. This is the fattened up version after he's been living with Faye a few weeks.

Faye watched as the wolf's eyes closed and a long sigh left him. She grinned, happy with her good deed, thankful she had saved his life. She got up and grabbed his empty bowl and carried it over to the sink, rinsing it out. As she looked out the window, a soft covering of white coated the ground a couple of inches deep already. It was so beautiful. She glanced over at the sleeping wolf relaxing in front of her fire and smiled as a ragged snore met her ears. He was exhausted, poor thing. Quietly, she ran him a bowl full of water and set it down near his head so he would have something to drink when he got thirsty.

A few hours and one shower later, Faye turned out the lights and added another piece of wood to the fire before curling up in the recliner under a blanket. Wolfie still slept an occasional doggy snore making her choke on wild laughter. He sounded ridiculous. She pulled her hair up into a bun, curly tendrils escaping to frame her face as she snuggled into the recliner. A few moments later her eyes closed and she slept.

Colin woke, in what he guessed was the first light of the morning. The blonde woman lay curled up in a big brown leather chair behind him and the fire was low on wood. The cabin was chilly.

Normally, he wouldn't have felt the cold but with his ragtag coat of missing fur, he felt the chill. Apparently the woman did not, as she slept soundly with her feet tucked up under her.

Colin lay staring up at her, warmth filling his heart as he took the time to really look at her. He had finally found his promise! She was a petite woman, he could tell, but full of curves in all the right places. She was utterly beautiful.

He shifted uncomfortably trying to get to his feet. His legs trembled underneath him as he stood. Colin glanced up at the woman considering waking her. The embarrassment of peeing in front of her discouraged that idea. Plus she looked too cute with her nose scrunched up in sleep.

Shakily, he made his way to the door and managed to get it open before heading outside to find a suitable tree to water. He stepped outside and the crisp air immediately bit his skin. He knew if he was human, his teeth would have been rattling hard in his skull. Stepping off the porch, his hardened paws made contact with soft snow that crunched as he walked. Now to find a tree.

Faye woke up disoriented wondering why she wasn't in her nice warm soft bed but instead in the old brown recliner. Then she remembered the starving wolf she had rescued the night before.

"Wolfie?" She called, after looking down at the rug and realizing he wasn't there.

She got up from the chair, sleepily rubbing her eyes and looked around.  A few minutes later, she realized the wolf wasn't in the cabin. With a scoff, she discovered the unlocked door.

"Apparently you can unlock and open doors you ungrateful animal," she muttered, "Not as if I saved your life last night. Geez this must be how the morning after a one night stand feels when the guy sneaks out."

She let the front door close and moved to make herself a pot of coffee. It was really early and she didn't have to be at the bookshop for another two hours. Plenty of time to rebuild the fire, eat breakfast, feed the chickens and throw on suitable clothes for work.

Faye flipped her sizzling pancake a moment later and paused. She smirked at the noise coming from the other side of her front door. An unmistakable whine accompanied by scratches made her chuckle before she moved to let him in.

Wolfie was back. Colin walked inside, unmindful of the snow his wet paws tracked in, only eager to see his mate again and get warm.

He would have blushed had he been in his skin at the amused look she gave him. "Decided you needed me after all, huh?"

Colin gave her his best confused dog expression before realization dawned. She had thought he left. As quickly as his weak legs would move, he trotted over to her and shoved his head against her leg, begging for a pat. He didn't mean to upset her. Just the idea of her watching him do his business was weird. She wouldn't do it if he was in his skin and he was still human enough to realize that.

Her hand came down to his head and a long sigh left his muzzle. This felt like Home. His eyes drifted closed as he breathed in her scent.

Faye softly ran her hand through his fur, watching as his whole bony self leaned against her leg and into her hand. He was so sweet. She wondered where he'd gone and then realized he probably had to go pee. What a smart dog to let himself outside to go! She was vaguely impressed.

She bent down to his level cooing, "Good Wolfie," in his ear.

He couldn't help it. His tongue took a big swipe at her face and went down the whole side coating her cheek in doggy slobber. He was mortified directly after but was surprised to hear her giggle her eyes lighting up.

"You big puppy," she grinned, taking her shirtsleeve and wiping the slobber off.

His tail thumped against the wood floor until she rose to her feet and stopped petting him.

Faye moved to save her pancake from burning in the skillet and looked over her shoulder as a sad whine met her ears. She laughed at the overgrown puppy sitting on the floor giving her The Look. Big sad eyes and dropped shoulders. Oh yeah he was working that for all it was worth.

"Come 'ere Wolfie," she chuckled.

He scrambled across the floor until he was sitting on her foot and nudged her palm with his head again.

Now this was Heaven.

........

Welcome back, shapeshifters!!
My Easter update is a day late..... sorry!  But anyway, what do you think about Colin and Faye?

By the way, he still doesn't know her name yet. That's why Colin refers to her as the woman and the blonde one.

Vote and comment please!

Sincerely,

Scarlett McLeod