Chapter 9

The Fiction Awards 2018 are now open for nominations!!! If you like this book, head on over and nominate it!

"Wolfie!" hollered Faye, "Get your furry butt off of my porch!"

Colin whined, ears dropped as he slunk off of the porch. With great disgust, Faye took the end of the broom she had been using to sweep off the porch and frowned. Gingerly, she eased the dead rabbit off the porch, blood dripping from its severed neck.

"Ugh," she groaned as she surveyed Wolfie's bloody mess.

She shook her finger at him and said, "You can't bring your meals up on the porch. Ugh, that's so gross, blood everywhere."

Colin snorted at her. She did realize he was technically a wolf, right? She noticed his expression and blew out a breath as she muttered to herself, "I know I know. He's a wolf. But it's so bloody!"

Colin stretched out on his belly on a warm patch of ground. The snow had melted slightly, leaving patches of white scattered over browning grass.

He stared up at Faye as she dug into her jeans pocket as something shrill vibrated through the air. "Hello?" asked Faye.

Colin sank his head down on his paws to take a nap as Faye talked to her friend Suzanne on the phone. But at the loud volume she was talking he was sure any creature for miles around heard her.

"I have to pay for Mardi's shoes!"

Faye shrugged, sitting down on the porch steps. "My apologies," she said, chewing on a fingernail, "But I had other things to do rather than bail you out again."

Colin could hear the woman on the other end of the phone scoff. Faye seemed agitated so he clambered to his paws and trotted over to join her, shoving his head under her arm. She smiled warmly down at him and Colin licked her cheek lovingly.

"Why would you bring a dog to work?" Exploded Suzanne.

"I couldn't leave him here," explained Faye, absently running her fingers up and down Wolfie's back, "And he's not a dog, he's a wolf."

Colin tried to contain the shiver he felt at her touch and curled himself around her, his head lying in her lap. "As if that's so much better," sneered Suzanne.

Colin found himself not liking the woman and how she was talking to Faye but he couldn't do anything about it except whine so he closed his eyes and settled into her lap, burrowing his head into her stomach. Faye giggled at the ticklish sensation and Suzanne sighed exasperated. "Look," said Faye, tired of the conversation, "You put me in a tight spot. Now I'm not getting all up in your business, but maybe you should start working the shifts yourself. You do get the money after all. I'm tired of covering for you."

With that, Faye hung up and let out a sigh of relief. Lately, she had felt that her and Suzanne's friendship was getting more and more one sided. Suzanne only ever called when she needed something and Faye was getting plain tired of being used.

"Just you and me all day today, Wolfie," sang Faye, scratching his ears.

She laughed when his back leg started shaking and he let out a groan. They sat that way for a while until Faye decided to get up and feed the chickens.

Colin was left with his dead rabbit and he neatly ate it, keeping one protective eye on Faye. He cleaned up any leftover blood staining the dark boards of the porch and then trotted after Faye, his belly full and content.

She shook her head at him and said, "Well if you keep catching your own food I guess that's less money I have to spend on you."

He grinned up at her and Faye laughed before pushing his stinky doggy breath out of her face. "You need a tooth brush," she gasped.

Colin couldn't do much for her the rest of the day. She puttered around the house, fixing a loose shutter and dragging out her potted plants so they could get some sun, and then when it started getting dark, dragging them back inside to the closed in back porch. He felt like a lazy oaf, freeloading off of her.

It was dark when every muscle in his body tensed as the Call echoed through the night. He lay on the porch at Faye's side while she sat curled up with a book in her rocking chair. Faye looked up from her book, laying one hand on his head as if she thought he would bolt. His ears perked up and he whined, paws scratching at the wood on the floor as the Call sounded again.

Multiple voices joined the lone howler and Colin felt his vocal cords seize. He was on unclaimed territory, he knew, but that still didn't lessen the pull of the moon or his responsibility to let the pack singing know of his presence. He had run through their territory from the moose, and now they were singing praises to the moon and inviting others to join them. He glanced up at the sky, noticing for the first time the full glowing orb, rising over the trees. He was bound to Faye in more ways than one.

She was his Protector, ironic though it seemed at the moment, his Alpha, and most importantly his Promise. His duty was to her alone, but his fur side wanted to run with Pack. And Change with Pack under the moon, basking in its glowing warmth.

He felt a twinge if pain run down his spine and whined long and low in his throat. He was about to jolt off of the porch when he felt Faye nudging him towards the cabin door.

She didn't want to lose him, Faye realized as she listened to the wolves howling not far away. More and more voices joined the chorus and she glanced down at Wolfie to see him crouching, ears perked, yet staying by her side and leaning into her hand that rested on his head.

She knew he wanted to go, so she stood, and tried to usher him inside, thinking maybe if he couldn't hear them as well, he might not go.

She didn't want him to go.

...........

Welcome back my little shapeshifters!!! How are you doing this fine day? Please vote and comment!

I noticed I didn't have nearly as many reads or votes on the last chapter. Is it bad? You guys not like it? If so let me know! I write for myself but also for you guys to enjoy. I can't promise to change but I will definitely take your opinions into consideration if you think I should do something differently.

Anyway, vote and comment!!

Sincerely,

Scarlett McLeod