chapter 5

*Maria's POV*

-dream-

i was sitting in my room crying. Papa had just finished beating me when he heard mama and uncle come home.

Mama had saw him beat me and yelled at him. "Harold i told you no more beer, look at my baby, you hurt her!"

Instead of replying, he slammed his fist into her face. "IF YOU TOO DON'T STOP ILL KILL YOU ALL!!!" Uncle snapped when they continued.

Mama started to cry and papa cruised at his brother. Uncle looked mad and threw a knife at papa. "I was supposed to be her husband, and Maria was my daughter you know that!!!"

He grapped the knife out of my dead papa. I started to cry when i saw him raise the knife at mama. "NO!!!" I screamed as the knife went through her.

I ran over to her, "MAMA COME BACK ILL BE A GOOD GIRL!!!!! ILL DO WHAT PAPA TELLS ME!!!!" I screamed.

Tears streamed down my face as uncle slowly walked to me, smiling. He raised the knife. "NO UNCLE STOP!!!!"

As the knife was about to hit me i was awaken. I was covered in sweat, and fund Felix shaking me. "F-Felix....I'm sorry."

He held me tightly and whispered in my ear. "Its OK..." He didn't let go after that. Eventually i fell asleep in his arm.

*******************************

My eyes slowly opened and i felt warm. I looked to see i was still in Felix's arms. I smile slightly and tried to break from the embrace.

I wa able to get out and ran to the bathroom. I looked at my self and smiled, 'I'm beautiful just like mama.' I thought.

I looked closer to see i looked nothing like papa, I never did. Maybe he wasn't my real papa, but then i would have gone through the pain for no reason.

'PIECE OF SHIT!!! THAT'S ALL YOU ARE, SO JUST SHUT UP!!!" Screamed a voice. It was my papa's, every now and then i hear his voice and do what he says.

I decided ill go mute, then maybe he'll love me. I smiled again and left the bathroom. As soon as i walked out i was swooped  into a pair of arms.

For a minute i thought it was Anna, she would always sleep with me when i had my nightmares even though she wasn't aloud in my room.

But it wasn't her. It was the lady, Marzia, she was beautiful like mama. And her name is like mine! "Good morning sweetie, are you hungry?" She asked.

Her voice sounded like my mama's too. Maybe shes my guardian angle mama had picked for me. I nodded and she smiled.

"Ok, ill go make some breakfast." She then placed me gently down and went to cook. I sat on the couch and Maya jumped on me.

I'm really scared of dogs but Maya is calm, but Edgar scares me. We played for a bit until a tired Felix walked in. 

I had to stop myself from giggling. He looked really stupid, his hair was really messed up. "Hello little one." He said ruffling my hair. 

I didn't respond, it was hard to be mute but i have done it before. He looked at me, "Are you ok, Maria?" He asked concerned. 

I nodded my head and pet Maya. "Can you tell me about the dream you had last night?" He asks and sits next to me. i Shake my head.

He give me a look as to say, 'please?' "Food is ready!" Screamed Marzia. I shot of the couch and ran to the dinning table. 

There was pancakes staked really high with butter and syrup. I marvelled at the food. At the home we didn't get foo like this.

*******************************************

After eating Marzia had to go for a family problem and wouldn't be home for a few weeks. Felix was sad, he almost cried. But i hugged him and he felt better. 

So now we were sitting on the couch just wondering what to do. "Maria?" He finally said. I looked up at him. He looked sad.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I slightly nod my head. "Can you tell me about your dream?" I shake my head.

He sighs loudly. "Please Maria, its the only way i can help you. Please just talk to me." His voice started to crack. I saw tears forming. 

I just look at the ground. This is not the first time this has happened. A nice lady adopted me a few months ago and i refused to talk, she sent me back in a day.

"Maria just look at me an say something anything!" His voice started t rise, he was mad. I still stared at the ground showing no emotion.

"Goddamn it!!!! Just speak!!!!" He screamed and threw a book at the ground. I jumped when he did that, i was starting to become afraid. 

He soon saw the fear in my eyes. "Maria...." I ran to my room and locked the door and started to cry. 'ITS PAPAS FAULT! I HAD TO LISTEN T HIM AND NOW FELIX HATES ME!' Thats it.

I slowly crept out of my room and saw Felix laying down on the couch, mumbling words in a different language. I walked over to him without him noticing.

I crawled into his arms and closed my eyes. I slowly opened my small mouth to say one thing he wanted to hear. 

"I'm sorry and i love you....daddy..."I whispered. I chose not to listen to papa anymore, hes gone for good.