Chapter 9: Porridge and Yellow Ducks.

Honey

I avoided Bogum like the plague.

Even at the dinner table, I purposely sat the furthermost away from him. Not once did I raise my head from my food. Whenever we had to sit around in a room or play a game, I made it my job to be far away from him as possible.

I accepted every task that was made available to me, no matter how tiring it may be.

This is how I found myself cleaning out horse dung.

I shoveled another round into the wheelbarrow. Then, placing the shovel down, I went to the front of the wheelbarrow and clasped the handle. Grunting, I made a u-turn out of the stables, being as careful as I could master while my arms ached under the weight. They were still sore from the previous chores.

Out into the sunlight, I had to hold my breath. Apparently, the sun's heat intensified the smell of the manure. It soon came to a point where I thought I would smell nothing but horse poo. Apparently, there was no winter in the countryside.

Bye, bye nose!

Suddenly, the sound of someone hammering caught my attention. Slowing my pace as I made it to the grandmother's house, I peeked around the corner to see Oppa making something. Frowning in confusion, I put abandoned the poo to get a better look. He was making something out of wood and by the looks of it, he was doing an alright job. No bruised thumbs.

Oppa inspected the rectangular wooden contraption of his. Then with a nod of his head, he hammered in another plank of wood. I tilted my head to the side when he then placed it down near the entrance of house-and stepped on it!

Ahh. It's a step for the grandma.

I leaned against the side of the house and I continued to watch the actor as he began to sand the wood. A smile slowly appeared on my face. Oppa is really a kind person. When I first met him, I thought that his consideration for others was just for show. However, the more I got to know him, the more I knew how genuine his intentions were. His homemade step just topped it.

After a while of sanding, he sat back and removed his gloves. Putting off his wide-brimmed straw hat, he pushed the mop of black hair off his forehead and sighed.

He must be hot.

His head snapped in my direction. I froze. Did I say that out loud?!

"Honey-ah!"

Oh gosh.

I raced back to the wheelbarrow and began to leave. Why did you stop?! Now he has spotted you spying on him. Gosh, can you be so stupid! I kept scolding myself.

"Honey! Wait. Let me help you!"

I increased my speed at the sound of his voice. No. Don't come. I don't need your help. Just carry on with your step. I can do this by myself. I-

"Hey, wait!"

No. Just leave me alone, I don't need you-

Suddenly, I felt my boot slip on the dry earth as I tried to round the corner sharply. To my horror, I watched as the wheelbarrow leaned too far to the right, tipping its contents in a lump next to where I fell.

"Honey-ah!"

No. No. NO.

I cursed under my breath. Scrambling to my feet, I began shoveling the poo back into the barrow with my bare hands. The sound of his hurried footstep made my heart beat ecstatically. No, I really don't need this. I felt tears begin to form in my eyes. Please...