Chapter 10

Avery

 Brian was pretty cool. He was hot, smart, funny, nice...

And he reminded me of Preston. I just couldn't get the guy out of my head. Half the time I was waiting for my tutor, I was wondering if it was Preston.

What's wrong with me?

Honestly, I'm like a love-sick, little, I-don't-even-know-what!

"Avery!"

A familiar voice shook me out of my thoughts. Brian waved and ran to catch up to me in the crowded halls.

"Hey, Brian." I smiled slightly.

Brians grinned at me as he matched my pace to the cafeteria. He then saw my drooping fail to match his grin. Brian's face softened.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing much." I cast my eyes downward.

I hadn't realized we'd stopped in a quieter hallway until the noise around us dimmed.

Brian used his index finger to lift my chin, making my heart necklace from Preston clanged against my collarbone.

I blinked rapidly and moved away. Brian didn't push me, but I saw him eyeing my pendant.

"Hey, Avery..." he started.

I brushed away the tears that threatened to fall and turned back.

"Do you- Would you- I know we've only-only just met, but, do you maybe want to sit with me and my friends at luch?" he stammered.

I gaped at him. "Are you being serious?" I asked slowly.

Brian's face fell. "Well, if you don't want to..."

I grabbed his arm as he turned away. "No, Brian. I didn't mean it like that. It's just- I don't many friends here and having someone ask me to sit at their table is just a little- well surprising." I said sheepishly.

Brian grinned. "You're gonna love my friends." He took my hand and dragged me to the caf.

I smiled.

~

"Uh, guys?"

If one thing was certain, Brian's 'friends' were noisy.

"Hey!" Brian yelled.

Everyone quieted down. "Hi, guys." Brian said calmly, taking a seat. I stood beside him awkwardly as Brian's friends stared at me.

"Hi," I said.

A girl with long, straight brunette hair and shocking blue eyes turned to Brian and raised an eyebrow. "Who's this Brian?" she asked wryly.

Brian started. "Everyone, this is Avery. I tutor her. Avery this is Ashley," Brian gestured to the brunette. She had on a cheerleader's outfit. "Ella," A curly haired blonde girl with pale green eyes waved. Her clothes insisted of a tank-top, skinny jeans and stilletos. "Henry," A tall boy with red hair, blue eyes and thivkly rimmed glasses smiled at me. He was wearing a striped shirt and normal jeans. "Owen," A Chinese boy with a white shirt and black jeans nodded slightly. "And, Polly."

I turned to look at the last person and nearly fainted.

Polly McPie sat at the end of the table.