Chapter 12

Avery

 I sat bundled up in all I could wear without looking like a dork on a random bench by a random park.

To be honest, I had no idea where I was. I had been walking around town trying to clear my head. Something big was stirring up at home and I didn't want to get involved.

I felt like a little kid torn apart between my parents. I knew soon either my dad or my mom was going to pack up and move out and I was going to be forced to choose.

I sighed and leaned back, closing my eyes.

A cold sensation hit my nose. I opened my eyes, startled. Snow.

It was snowing. The icy flakes were falling faster and faster.

I covered my head, pulling my hood over my face. I had to get home. Now!

The snow swirled faster. A blizzard was coming. It was obvious. My heartbeat sped up.

"Calm down Avery." I whispered. I forced myself to take a deep breath.

"Avery?"

I froze.

"Avery, is that you?"

Brian's voice cut through the dark.

"Brian?"

"Over here!" he called out.

I squinted, trying to see farther.

"Keep talking, I'm coming." I said.

I could picture Brian smiling. "I'm by the road. I was driving around when I thought I saw you. What are you doing out in the blizzard?" Brian rambled.

I smiled slightly, following his voice.

"Woah!" I gasped as I stumbled and fell forward.

"Got ya." Warm arms enveloped me. "Careful."

I looked up into Brian's twinkling brown eyes. He lifted me up onto my feet. I took a good look at Brian. His cheeks and nose were red from the cold and it made him look extremely cute.

"Are you lost?" he asked, cocking his head.

"Kind of..." I trailed off, glad that the red in my cheeks could be mistaken for the cold instead of a blush.

Brian laughed. "Come on, I'll drive you home."

I grinned in relief. "Thanks. I owe you."

~

"Here we are!" Brian pulled up next to my driveway. "You're parents must be worried."

"Yeah, sure." I sighed moodily.

Brian gave me a look. "What's wrong?"

"It's... It's nothing important. I don't want to bore you with my troubles." I looked away and reached for the handle. Even to me, my voice sounded bitter and rude.

Brian reached over and put his hand over mine. "Avery... Look, I know I'm only your tutor, but I would like you to trust me. I'm trying to be your friend. You should know you can tell me anything."

I winced inwardly. He was right. I was being a terrible friend. I bowed my head and tried to gather my emotions.

Come on, Jones. Pull it together! I urged myself.

"You're right." I finally managed to utter. "I'm sorry Brian. I was being an idiot."

Brian met my gaze in my window. He smiled sympathetically. "I know you're having trouble with your parents. I've heard them fighting when I'm over helping you. Is... something going to happen?"

I knew he was talking about a divorce.

"I don't know, Brian." I turned back to him. "I hope not."

I bit my lip, trying to regain my composure. I was shaking. "I hate it. They're always fighting and I know sooner or later they're going to break up and I'll have to choose who to stay with."

I gasped, trying my hardest not to cry. Brian wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest.

"Shh." he murmured. "It's gonna be alright. No matter what happens, I'll be here every step of the way."

I struggled to breath normally. Eventually, Brian slowly pulled away and I wiped my eyes, embarrassed to have cried like that in front of him.

Great, I thought to myself. Not only did I sob like a baby, I also ruined his shirt.

Brian noticed me glancing at his shirt and looked down. He laughed. "Don't worry about it," he assured me. "It's just a shirt."

I took a deep breath. "Thanks Brian. I really appreciate everything you've done."

Brian smiled and pushed back my hair from my eyes. "Come on," he said. "I'll walk you to your door."

I smiled back and got out of the car, Brian following me.

He took my hand as he caught up to me, pulling me along. I didn't fail to notice the slight blush on his cheeks.

Brian let go of my hand as we got to my door. Surprisingly, he looked kind of nervous, though I couldn't tell why.

"Um..." he said, fiddling with his hands. "Here we are!"

"Yes..." I folded my arms, raising an eyebrow. "What is it, Brian? Spit it out."

Brian coughed into his hand, scuffing the ground with his shoe. Finally, he took a deep breath and leaned over.

Then he kissed me.

On the cheek.(A/N: Fooled you! XP)

"See you tomorrow, Avery." he said in a rush. Brian's face was red as he scrambled away to his car and drove away.

A slow smile spread across my face, which eventually split into a huge grin.

Wow. That's new. I thought. Never in my life would I have thought Brian might... feel that way. It was surprising.

I turned back to the door and unlocked it.

Before going inside I turned back to the cold, snowy sky. It now held a new feeling for me. My heart swelled as I thought of Brian's shy face.

A cold wind blew, stinging my face. It was time to get inside to the warmth.

Deep down, I barely felt like I needed the heat inside, my body temperature seemed to be rising drastically with happiness.

My grin grew bigger as I reached up to touch my cheek where he had kissed me.

"See you, Brian." I said to the darkening sky.

With that, I slipped into my house.