Chapter 13

Preston

Ring!!

It was time. I had to do it. I was going to ask Mia to the Valentine's Dance.

There was just a few problems.

Firstly, the dance was only a few days away, secondly, I had no idea how to ask her, and lastly, my suspicion was rising about Derek having already asked her.

Well, I won't know if I don't try.

I took a deep breath and looked around for Mia. She was nowhere to be found.

I searched for her car but I couldn't spot it. She seemed to have completely disappeared.

There! Mia was leaning on a familiar car, talking to somone I couldn't really identify. Dark skin, curly black hair, a slight beard...

Derek.

No wonder the car looked familiar. It was Derek's! She must have planned to ride with him.

Heat rose to my cheeks and I clenched my fists. I didn't know why I was feeling this way.

 There was no point asking Mia now. It was obvious she and Derek were a 'thing'. I forced myself to take a deep breath.

What was the point of overreacting? I could get used to being rejected.

"I can't do this anymore. I'm done"

Avery's words from two years ago echoed in my head.

Yeah, I know what it feels like.

I turned away from the Deria(Derek and Mia) scene and headed towards my car. There was nothing left to do about it.

Yeah, I was giving up. I knew what it was like to see your loved one with someone else. I wasn't going to try and make my best friend feel that way.

No, Mia's not for me.

Guess I'm not going to the Valentine's Dance anyway...

A picture of Avery with Brian flashed in my head.

I smirked to myself. Pathetic.

I can't always be lucky.