Chapter 15

Preston

In the end, I just decided to accept the fact that my love life was hopeless and skipped the dance.

I decided to go on a walk, instead. Even though it was snowing up a storm.

There was no way I was going to stay home with Peter if I could help it. So I was out here.

At any rate, while I was wandering, my feet had lead me to an old park I used to go to when I was young.

I was walking through the trees when a familiar voice cut through my thoughts.

"Argh! Just leave me alone!"

I walked towards it, peering through the bushes and trees. I arrived in the small clearing in time to see Avery glare at her phone and poke the screen in an angry rage.

The look on her face was just so funny I couldn't contain my laughter. She looked downright murderous.

I had always known Avery as a sweet darling who would never hurt anyone, so seeing her look like she was going to punch something was hilarious.

Avery's head snapped up and I scrambled backwards, trying not to seem like I had been spying.

In my hurry, I tripped over a twig and went crashing into the snowy ground. I rubbed the back of my neck seepishly and waved slightly.

"Hey, Avery." I said, hauling myself up.

"What are you doing here?" Avery's tone was carefully guarded, if not slightly hostile.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, you know, hunting elephants." Yeah, I had caught on a little too much sass from Derek.

Avery shook her head. "You haven't changed a bit." she said. I regarded her as she sized me up.

"Anyhow," I spoke up. "I'm out on a walk. Things at home were getting too much for me."

For a moment, Avery looked surprised, but she quickly covered up her emotions.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Avery gazed at me. "I'm out. Things at home were getting a bit hectic as well."

I didn't know exactly how, but we started talking and soon we had shared all our troubles with each other.

Just like old times. Okay, maybe I shouldn't think like that.

After we finally finished ranting, Avery and I just stood staring at each other.

Sure, she had been cute when she were dating before, but now, at age eighteen, she was starting to get seriously beautiful.

I tried to dismiss those thoughts. It wasn't like that anymore.

"Preston?" Avery interrupted my trailing mind. She smiled at me as the wind picked up, but then shivered. "I should get home. It's getting cold."

I wanted to say that I wasn't feeling the cold, not know that she was with me. But that would be confessing my feelings, and I couldn't bear to break what little trust we had just built up.

I smiled slightly. "Alright. See you at school." I murmured. Honestly, seeing Avery smile at me again, I didn't feel the cold at all.

Avery nodded and was about to turn away. A sudden flash of courage brought me to stop her by grabbing her arm.

The bravery fled, though, as soon as she turned to look at me, her blue-grey eyes widening in surprise.

"Uh..." I was suddenly at a loss for words. For a few seconds, we stared into each other's eyes, a light flush flooding our cheeks.

"Look, I.." I bit my lip, then on a whim, kissed her cheek.

"I really hope we can be friends again soon."

Here. I really have nothing to say...

But school is starting in three days and I've been going crazy about it. Sorry, guys.