Chapter Nine

So what are you thinking so far?

Annabelle's POV

Jax took me into his living room and I couldn't help but stare in awe at this room as well. Was his whole house this amazing?

There was a very soft colour scheme that seemed to run throughout this room, with creams and light browns covering everything, from the floors and walls to the soft furnishings. He had three huge sofas, each with a warm fluffy brown blanket that was neatly folded across the backs of the sofas. They sat in a U shape, all facing towards a huge tv that hung on the opposite wall with shelves framing the television, filled with more photos as they littered the surfaces.

On one side of the room, on the left-hand side, the whole wall was made of glass, allowing you to look out onto the forest that surrounded the modest back garden. On the opposite wall, on my right, a stone fireplace stood with two dark wooden bookshelves that were built into the walls, covered in books. The fire was on and gently flickering away, giving the whole place a warm and inviting atmosphere. I could definitely picture myself having a relaxing nap here.

I snuggled into the fluffy cushions as Jax gently placed me into the corner of one of the massive sofas as he went to sit in front of me on the coffee table. He sat with his elbows resting on his knees and his head in his hands, slightly tugging on his hair, looking more anxious than I had ever seen him. I frowned at his actions but otherwise didn't say anything. I didn't even know whether this was normal behaviour for him or not, seeing as I hadn't known him for very long.

I hesitated in reaching my hand out to him, wondering how he would react if I disturbed him from his thoughts. The words he told me in the car, about him never hurting me, rang in my ears and I shook the slight fear away and reached over to take one of his hands out from his hair and into mine.

I jumped slightly when his eyes snapped up to mine and quickly went to retract my hand from his, but as I started to, he turned his hand around and interlocked his fingers with mine, effectively trapping my hand in his. I blushed as he brought my hand up to his lips and blushed further when I heard him sniff my wrist before placing a kiss where his nose once was. Well that was... normal.

I frowned as I continued to look him over, he had always been so calm and confident before, but right now he looked so lost, I just wanted to take him in my arms and comfort him. I had never had a feeling like that before but for some reason, looking at him, the thought of comforting him didn't scare me in the slightest.

I looked at him in confusion as he stared at me, what was going through that head of his to make him look so stressed and frustrated? "Are...are you okay?" I whispered, wanting to know what was wrong with him so I could help in some way.

"Oh my beautiful little mate" Jax muttered, still not taking his eyes off of mine, "I don't even know where to begin" he sighed.

"The beginning?" I offered with a shrug. It still felt weird, openly speaking to someone without being punished for it afterwards, but I was slowly getting used to it. The best way to get through a fear is to face it head on... right?

Jax chuckled but it lacked any humour "if only it were that easy" he sighed.

I just shrugged my shoulders again and leaned back into the cushions. It seemed like this was going to be a long conversation, whatever it was about, so I may as well get comfy. He stayed silent for a while and just as I was about to start drifting off to sleep, exhaustion creeping in on me, Jax started to speak.

"Are you religious Annabelle?" He suddenly asked out of the blue, startling me awake.

I frowned at him before shrugging, I had never really thought about it before if I was being completely honest.