Chapter Thirty Nine

Annabelle's PoV

It had been a week since everything went down with Alpha Parker and Alpha Matthew and things were slowly starting to get back to normal.

The packs that had come to help Jax out had all gone their separate ways, minus the odd few people who had found their mates amongst the mass gathering of wolves. It was actually a really good idea to get loads of packs together into one territory. It helped solidify trust and treaties between each other and also expanded our social circles, helping us find our mates more easily. I think it's something I might bring up with Jax, something that we could do each year that everyone was welcome to, no matter what pack you belonged to.

My parents had decided to come back with us and stay with me in Jax's territory which I was beyond happy about. It was weird at first, the idea of having that parental figure who would look after you, but I quickly got used to it. It was something I had craved for most of my life and I was finally lucky enough to experience it.

Mum was trying to help me get to grips with this Moon Goddess link I had, but she said she honestly didn't know too much herself. She was only the messenger for a few years before she was taken and held captive, giving her no time to research her gifts and practice them.

Apparently it was the choice of the Moon Goddess when to pass down the responsibility onto the next generation. The only catch was the chosen one had to have found their mate to withstand the amount of strain the link could take on their wolf. Hence why I didn't become messenger until after I had met Jax. Once I had met him the Goddess shifted the gift as fast as she could over to me, wanting my mum to not had the burden of the link when she was in such a terrible situation.

The Elders had arrived a day after we had all gotten home and sorted, although I had been asleep the whole time due to the strain my body had been under from hosting the Goddess in my body. They had originally been angered by the fact that Jake had gone against their word and not waited for them to arrive before he formed his attack. They quickly cooled off though when Jax finished explaining to them what would have happened had they waited another day for them to get here.

The one thing I wish I was awake for though was when they took Matthew away. After he had come to from the ceremony, he had found himself in Jax's cells, under the same conditions he had forced upon me and the rest of the pack that he had captured and imprisoned. He wouldn't stop screaming and shouting every time he moved, causing the silver to shift on his skin and burn his flesh. Jax handed him over to the Elders as soon as they arrived, stating that he couldn't stand the sound of his screams anymore.

I had originally asked him why he had handing Matthew over to the Elders in the first place, convinced he would've wanted to conduct his own form of cruel punishment which would have no doubt resulted in his death. His reply though was only a small smile with an evil glint in his eye. I had later learnt from Hannah that being in the Elders prisons was a fate worse than death, something that prisoners feared more than anything else.

Things with me and Jax are going amazingly, he's as caring and as devoted to me as when I first stumbled into his life. If I was being honest, I kind of wished he wouldn't treat me so delicately, he acted as if I was a snowflake and the world was a giant flame ready to melt me at any second. As much as I loved him it did get tiring sometimes.

I'm hoping today was going to be the day that things start to progress in our relationship. It was the Luna ceremony today, the day I will officially be welcomed into the pack and given the honour of becoming their Luna.

To say that I was a mixture of both excitement and nervous would be an understatement.

I stared at myself in the mirror as I watched my mum put the last finishing touches to my hair, placing delicate white flowers into my long, curly blond locks.