Chapter Twenty Four

Jax's POV

"It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it Annabelle, honestly" I tried to convince her.

We were currently sitting crossed legged opposite each other in my back garden and I was trying to show her how the mind link works. By law she wasn't allowed to officially become the packs Luna until she learnt it and connected with the pack.

To say she was shocked when I first told her about it would be an understatement, in fact she outright laughed at the idea of it. I had to prove it to her by calling Xavier over with my mind link and doing a full ten minutes of what number was I thinking of with him, Annabelle watching closely to make sure we weren't cheating in any way. After not getting a single one wrong she had no choice but to believe us.

She groaned in frustration and ran her hands over her face "well if it's so easy then why can't I do it yet?"

I smiled at her to try and ease some of her tension and reached over to take her hands into mine. "It's most probably because your wolf hasn't fully emerged yet. Yes you have now shifted but there is so much more to becoming a werewolf than just turning into a wolf. You have to feel her, know her, train and learn what work best for you both, no two people are the same after all so why would that change for a wolf?

"Mind linking works by one wolf talking to another, not human talking to human telepathically" I explained

"Well then why are we even bothering if it's impossible for me to do right now? Why don't we work on something else like strengthening the connection so I can do stuff like linking in the future." I could tell she was getting frustrated with not being able to link. She was frowning at the her feet and pulling the grass out of the ground by its roots, I know I shouldn't be thinking this right now but she looked so damn cute right now.

"This will help strengthen your bond with her, everyday your brain is working to try and find new pathways and short cuts to talk to her and use your link" I tried to explain. I don't think she was aware of just how important it was for her to learn linking. If she couldn't link than she couldn't become the Luna. If she couldn't become Luna I had one of two choices to make, step down from my Alpha position and be with her or reject her and mate with someone who wasn't my destined mate.

It was an impossible decision to make, if I chose my pack over her than it would surely break both of us, and after waiting so long to find her I knew that I could never break her heart like that. On the other hand, though if I chose her over my pack than my sister would have to step up as Alpha. She wasn't the Alpha type though, she had never shown any interest in anything to do with the Alpha role and I fear that with me stepping down it would cause the pack to become weak and eventually collapse.

I looked into my little mates' eyes and smiled encouragingly at her, "I know you can do it Annabelle".

With my words of encouragement, I could see the sparkle had returned into her eyes. She no longer looked bored, she looked more like her determined self than she had done all morning. "Let's do it".

"Okay so close your eyes... Focus on my wolf, his eye colour, fur colour, his height... everything. Focus on trying to connect with him" I explained.

She nodded and took a deep breath through her nose and closed her eyes. She was silent for a few minutes and just as I started to see her give up hope I suddenly felt a slight push in my mind. I smiled a full megawatt smile at her, not that she could see it, and closed my eyes to try and reach out to her too.

She was just within reach, just one more stretch, when we were suddenly interrupted by a pack member forcing their way into my mind.

I growled in anger, not liking the disrespect that member was showing me but sobered up when the wolf said a few words to me. It was my brother.