Chapter Twenty Two

Jax POV

I was shocked awake by the sounds of smashing glass coming from downstairs and quickly rolled over to cover my Annabelle, if there was an intruder in the house then there was no way I was letting them get to my mate. As I rolled over onto my right to cover Annabelle with my body though I was met with a cold and empty side of the bed.

"Annabelle?" I questioned the dark and empty room, becoming more panicked when I realised she wasn't in the room with me.

"Annabelle!" I shouted across the room, hoping that she was holed up in the bathroom somewhere, but there was still no response. I quickly shot out of bed and ran down the stairs, taking them two at a time, to where I could hear her heart racing in the kitchen.

What I found confused and frightened me all at the same time. I saw Annabelle with her head in her hands, curled up into a foetus position, surrounded by water and broken glass. She must have smashed it and panicked.

I sighed and walked over to her, minding the broken glass with my bare feet, and crouched down so that I was more on her level. "Annabelle, it's okay... it's okay. I'm not mad that you broke a glass" I muttered, hoping my voice was soft enough so as not to startle her further.

When the only response I got was a whimper and her clutching her head tighter I frowned. I reached out to brush a few strands of hair that had fallen in front of her face, hoping that the gentle gesture would calm her panic attack in some way.

When I brushed her face though my frown deepened at what I found, or more correctly what I didn't find. Our mate sparks were gone. Not a single trace of tingling could be detected by both myself and my wolf. That's when I really started to panic.

Had Parker gotten to her whilst she was still in my pack territory and somehow severed out mating link?

'XAVIER!' I screamed down the pack link, not even bothering to try and mask my panic and confusion. 'Get over here now! There's something wrong with Annabelle.'

'Why what's wrong? She seemed fine when I left you guys last night' he responded after a few seconds of me prodding into his brain, urging him to wake up.

'I don't know' I replied as I picked Annabelle up off the floor and ran into the living room, placing her onto the sofa so that she could be more comfortable. 'Something's wrong.'

I searched through her head as best I could but without our bond being finalised there wasn't much I could do, there was one thing that was startingly obvious though. Her wolf was gone.

The door suddenly burst open and Xavier ran in panting with his eyes flicking across the room back and forth trying to find us. When he saw me knelt on the floor besides a curled-up Annabelle, he made his way over and sat on the arm of the sofa next to us.

"What happened?"

"I don't know". I hated how my voice cracked as I answered, an Alpha should always be strong and never show weakness, but right now the earth could be crumbling from under my feet and I wouldn't care.

Xavier patted me on the shoulder, showing me as much support as he was capable of, but without any answers there wasn't much that he could do for me.

"Is this something to do with the messenger thing or something?" He hadn't left the library since he had left mine last night, surely something would have come up that would explain what was going on.

He let out a puff of air and ran one of his hands down his face. "Honestly man I don't know, I mean it's possible, I guess, that the moon goddess is somehow involved in this, there aren't many people that can make a mate bond disappear".