Chapter Twenty Eight

Annabelle's POV

I hadn't uttered a word since we'd gotten back. I just couldn't help but replay what I'd just seen over and over again until my head span. That poor person had died because I was to stubborn and selfish to give myself up, I mean I didn't even know the man's name, yet he had died because of me.

I wasn't the only one who hadn't said much since finding out about the dead body, we had been pretty quiet for the rest of the day up until everyone decide to leave and head back to their respective homes. The news had hit everyone hard, especially Jax and his family. That could have easily been Will lying motionless and cold on the forest floor.

Jax had been on and off the phone all day, trying to gain allies so that we could have the numbers to comfortably form an attack on Rising Dawn but so far no one was biting. It seemed no one wanted to get involved in an issue that didn't involve them. It's not like we could blame them though, I don't think there were many people out there who would willingly put their live on the line for someone that wasn't from their family or pack.

I had been thinking about my options all afternoon as I sat quietly on the sofa, cuddled up in a blanket with a glass of water and some potato and leek soup in my lap. I had promised myself that I would wait until it was the last resort before giving myself over to them, that I would only sacrifice myself if I couldn't see any other way of everyone getting out of this alive.

Now that someone had died because of that promise I'd made my mind had completely shifted. Yes Jax had the Elders coming and he was trying everything he could to try and rally the surrounding packs for assistance but for me it wasn't enough. The Elders weren't coming for at least another thirty six hours and even once they arrived there was nothing set about what we'd be doing once they got here. For all we knew they'd take even longer to form a plan and for Will and the other three trackers who were still being held hostage that wasn't good enough.

I only had one clear option, one that would save the rest of the pack and keep those four wolves safe. I had to turn myself in. I just had to.

The more I thought about that dead body the more y stomach churned and my vision blurred. His blood was on my hands because I had been to much of a coward to give myself up, well not anymore.

With a deep breath to help calm my racing heart I placed the untouched bowl on soup on the coffee table and flicked the blanket from off my shoulders. I was already wearing something suitable to run in, just a pair of leggings and one of Jax's hoodies, but I still needed to sneak on a pair of trainers and get out of the building without raising suspicions.

Jax was in the kitchen, using the island as a makeshift office desk so that he wouldn't have to stray to far from me and I knew that Xavier was outside somewhere patrolling the house. If I could make it past the two of them then I was safe.

As silent as I could I tip toed towards the shoe rack and grabbed the first pair of shoes I could find before hiding them behind my back and walked over towards the kitchen where I could hear Jax mumbling down the phone to someone.

"I'm just going to the toilet" I whispered to him before turning around and headed to the downstairs bathroom.

Jax's only response was a quick head nod in my direction as he continued to mutter down the phone, to quiet for me to hear.

I sight in relief as I realised he wasn't going to look up at me and backed my way out of the kitchen entrance and down the small corridor until I made it to the bathroom. Once inside I quickly slipped my trainers on before locking the door and turning around so that I was facing the bathroom window. It wasn't particularly big, meaning squeezing through the small open window was a slight challenge, even for my small frame.