Six

Every time her phone rang, Kate angrily ended the call. She never answered it, but Jacob could tell that she was concerned about the person calling her. Leah was unconcerned about her sister's situation. She was busy eating pancakes until Edward came into the kitchen to tell her that she would be late for school if she had another. Leah finished her breakfast and ran out of the kitchen to brush her teeth and get her school things.

Kate angrily turned off the ringer on her phone when it rang again as she stood outside the doorway watching Leah get in the car to go to school. She would have to change her number or get a new phone because apparently, something was wrong with this one. She had turned it off last night, but it malfunctioned and turned back on.

Leah began waving at her as the car started pulling away from the house. Kate smiled and waved back, but Leah kept at it even when Kate stopped. The older sister rolled her eyes and turned to go back into the house and saw Jacob standing there behind her waving at Leah.

Her surprise showed on her face when Jacob looked at her. "I thought that you were going in today?"

"No, all the files that I need are here, and I need a vacation."

"Oh," Kate walked by him, and her phone vibrated. Jacob saw her frown appear as soon as she looked at the name of the caller. He decided that he did not like the concern on her face. The distorted features on Kate's face did not compliment her beauty. She was very easy to look at, and he liked that.

"How many times has this person called?"

"More than ten times since I tried to turn it off. I have dropped this phone, so many times I'm sure I damaged something inside. This person is not a stalker no matter what Leah tells you."

"It's not a wrong number either Kate. You have to know that by now."

Kate sighed as she looked at her employer while he admonished her. "I'll just get another phone."

"Okay, we can look on my computer."

"Mr. Dreshian I was going to go look this evening."

Jacob shook his head. "No, we can order it, and the tech will bring it by in an hour and transfer all your data and give you a new number. You won't be without a phone and the calls will stop."

Kate saw truth and practicality in his word. "If it's no trouble for you."

Jacob stared at her for a moment. "I would not suggest I if I did not mean it."

She knew that about him, but she did not want to seem needy or a bother. "Okay,"

She followed him back into the house until they got to the front door and he turned around and faced her. "Why don't you lead the way to my office?"

Kate stared at him for a moment and then looked in the two directions that she could take. Jacob smiled at her sighing with indecision. He watched her raise one black pump and turned to go left, but she stopped when he nodded his head in the other direction. He heard her nervously chuckle and roll to her right.

Jacob followed Kate's beautiful body in the hunter green dress down the hallway. He could see himself spending a lot of time at home with Miss Jones here. She came to another corridor and chose to turn right again. He smiled at her when she looked back at him to see if she was correct. Kate returned his smile and turned back around and headed towards his office.

Cassidy pulled up to the Dreshian Manor still on the phone with her sister as she exited her car. "I want to hold off on checking her background. She is his caretaker and would know things about him."