Seven

"He would take her to that new French restaurant down the street from here." Wendy lifted her eyes from her book on serial killers and looked across the table at her sister.

"How do you know that?"

"He took Belinda there a lot. They renovated it last month, and I know that he will bring Kate here. He's been without anyone for a long while now."

Wendy frowned. "So why would he bring her here if this is his special place."

Cassie took a sip of her tea and then set it down. "I can tell by the way that he looks at her. She's like Belinda in some ways, and in other ways, she is not. She would not be scared off with letters and phone calls. She would never let Jacob get away with half of the things that Belinda did. We are going to have to separate them in other ways."

Wendy smiled. "I already have that worked out. I knew that she would be a tough one. So I went deep and got someone to pose as a love interest."

Cassie frowned. "I don't want him to feel obligated to protect her from some stranger. He is attracted to her. I don't want him thinking that he has to be close to her all the time because someone else wants her."

Wendy returned her sister's frown. "Why would he feel that way? He has only known her for a day. You said that she is not Belinda so she would reject his help."

"She is not stupid or one of these women that think that they can beat up a full grown man. She has others to think of and does not want to get injured. She will not reject his help if some man is all over her."

Wendy snickered at her sister's explanation. "She wants to be seen as strong no matter how stupid she is for not asking for help. She will not want to look weak in front of her boss."

Cassie shook her head. "Who did you get?"

Wendy smiled. "Richard,"

Cassie almost spat out her tea. "Not Richard Shan the convicted rapist."

"They don't know that, and by that time they do he will have taken what he wanted and left town."

"Wendy are you not listening to yourself or me. Richard can't keep a straight face let alone a job where he has to act like a respectable person. He is scum, and this is going to fail and drive them together."

Wendy smiled and continued reading her book. "We'll see,"

She moved around the house like she had been there for years. Jacob watched her walk by his door several times with some new hires for Martha and Frank. She was much better now that her phone worries were over. She had already called Leah's school, the doctor and the dentist to inform them of her number change. So far there had been no calls from her stalker. Jacob looked up at the clock on the wall. The time was almost 12:30 pm.

Kate walked by his door with a smile on her face. "Miss Jones,"

She heard her name and walked back towards Jacob's office. She wondered why he kept his door open the entire morning. She knew that she was annoying him, but he never said anything. Kate walked into his office and stood in front of his desk.

"Yes, Mr. Dreshian,"

Jacob looked up at her. Every time he looked at her the natural beauty of her face and body always stunned him. He did not want to seem affected by it, so he stopped looking at her. Jacob did not know why he did not close his door if he wanted no contact with her.