(Quin) Chapter 9: Unchained

Gunshots rang in the distance. I groan. Can't I get some sleep? This camp was so noisy. I sit up off the ground. Leaves fall off of my face and clothes and I brush myself off. My fingers catch on the knots in my hair as I rake them through it. I stretch and rub my raw wrists under the hand cuffs.

I look around me. The sun was just starting to rise and the first colours of day rippled across the sky. People were up and training. They were fighting and shooting at targets. Some were even sharpening weapons. I watch them in awe. I was jealous of their skill and grace as they fought. I had never been allowed to learn. All I had ever wanted was to be powerful.

It's a hard life growing up in someone's shadow. It's even harder when it's multiple shadows. Everyone in my family was special. All I got was quick reflexes and an attitude. Rozen of course was the most special of them all. It hurt because the person I looked up to most was the reason why I was considered a weak pack member.

I shake it off. One day I'll be stronger and Rozen will be with me every step of the way. I just have to have faith. I lose focus as I watch the warriors fight. The one good thing rogues are known for is their hand to hand combat. If only they weren't so despicable.

A hand grabs my shoulder from behind. Startled, I start to growl. "Woah! Woah! Woah! Easy their tiger." I immediately relax at the sound of the young man's voice. He leans in towards my ear. "I'm taking off your cuffs. Don't try and run. You won't get very far." He whispers. I nod quickly. He sticks the key into the lock. Fight or flight? Fight or flight? The chains pop off. I can run back to the pack and do the right thing.

I stand. But you don't want to go now do you? Something inside me whispers. I blame it on what the young man said about me not getting far but in the deepest parts of me I know it's a lie. "Walk with me." The man says.

We silently make our way through the camp until we reach a large tent that was far from all the others. He pulls me in. It was his tent. I freeze in fear. "Please don't hurt me!" I plead. He looks taken aback. Then realization crosses his face. "It's not what you think." He explains. "It's not going to hurt you- I'm just going to clean up your wrists so they don't get infected."

I look down at my wrists. Raw skin is peeling off and blistering thanks to the tight cuffs. I absent mindedly rubbed them as I look around the tent. It was basic and what I assumed it would look like in here. He had a cot, a desk, an old chair and a trunk I think is filled with clothes.  His only personal affects appear to be the cross around his neck and a picture of a little girl.

I point to the picture "She your's?" He shakes his head. "God no! I'm only 20." His voice takes on a more somber tone. "That's my baby sister who went missing a couple years ago." He looks at me and squints "I don't know why I told you that." I shrug. "It's not like I can tell anyone." He laughs. "True." I stare a little too long at his dashing smile.

Gingerly he grabs my injured wrists. He rubs some sort of cream on them and bandages them. His hands skim my hands and arms and sparks shoot through me when we touch. Uh oh. I really hoped it was just a deep attraction between us and not a mate thing.

"There. All done." He says proudly. I jump from seat as a man barrels into the tent. The man who kidnapped me. I stare at him in fear. Then I notice the bruises and cuts all across his body. Those weren't there beforeHe glares at me and whispers something into mystery man's ear. My kidnapper quickly takes his leave.

"What happened to face?" I question. The man scratches his chin debating if I should know or not. "He was punished for his rash actions. He disobeyed orders." I stare blankly, confused. He continues in a much darker tone "He wasn't supposed to leave any witnesses."