(Nadia) Chapter 12: Hidden In The Shadows

I lean against the window sill watching the twinkling stars. One goes shooting across the sky. I look at it longingly. It was hurtling through the cosmos completely lost and alone, billions of miles away from its home. It would keep going for hundreds of thousands of years before it inevitably stops. Smashing violently into the surface of an unknown land.

I couldn't help but compare myself to it. We were both being pulled through space. Drifting for eternity. At least it had a direction. It had one way. One path arcing through the sky. But me? I had no direction. I would wander forever on the edge. That is if I didn't get pulled into a black hole of darkness. Besides the comet- though enourmous and powerful- wasn't indestructible. It would soon be nothing but star dust in the blink of a cosmic eye.

I would live on. Staying forever young on the outside but slowly rotting away on the inside until there was nothing but evil left inside of me. The only thing that could kill me was the Original dagger and I doubted it would ever be found. But what if your brother's idea works. If they tear you apart and bury your burnt pieces you'll essentially be dead, won't you? A voice whispers. I clamp my hands into fists. My nails bite into my skin leaving indentations in my skin.

Someone screams. I jump up from my seat. Rozen comes running towards me. He pulls me into a tight embrace and I could sense his fear. "Thank God you're alright." He whispers into my hair. I melt into his touch. I had missed him. The last time I saw him was this morning when I walked off in a huff.

Rozen releases me. His face goes blank. Someone's mind linking him. He unfreeze moments later. "That was my father- he says we're under attack!" He says in a panicked voice. I place my hand on his and he clenched it tight. "Please stay here. I don't you getting hurt." He pleads. Before I can respond he is running off. Leaving me with a pit of guilt in my stomach.

He didn't even need to tell me that it was the rogues. I already knew. They had come for me. They were trying to weaken the pack and force me to flea. A horrible thought enters my mind. If they know about Rozen they'll come for him first. I couldn't breath. Pure panic had seized me. I haven't been scared since before I became the Ever Wolf. The day I died I suppose.

I pace back and forth watching Rozen through the window. He effortlessly takes his attackers down. His black wolf coat gleams under the moonlight. His red eyes strike fear into all who dare challenge him. His enourmous size and strength helps him to overpower his opponent and speed allows him to dodge and out pace them.

I nervously watched him ready to run to him at a moments notice.