(Nadia) Chapter 21: Family Disputes

My brother and I stand toe to toe snarling. I can't contain my rage. Of all my brother's betrayals Casbian's stung the most. Knowing that your once loyal protector was willing to kill you for power is enough to make anyone angry. But me? It makes me furious. Rage burns through me and black hate seeps through my veins consuming me.

"I may not have my strength but I can still take you down like Gerrod and Kyle." I snarl. Pain flickers across his face briefly before his usual sour expression returns. "You mean kill me, just as you killed our brothers?" Casbian antagonizes. Rozen looks at me shock.

"I'd like to see you try." Casbian gloats as he snaps his fingers. Mangled wolves spill out of the forest. They scuttle towards us, bellies to the ground. Their fur stands on end and their hackles are raised. The wolves' faces are covered in scars and have ears torn to ribbons from past battles.

"I may not be at full strength but I warn you brother, do not test me." I urge. When he doesn't heed my warning I shift. Bones crack beneath my skin and fur shoots out. Pack members gasp as I transform into an enormous white wolf. Even my brother's soldiers falter at the sight of me.

But they are more afraid of Casbian. The battle worn warriors begin to charge at me and one by one I cut them down. They whimper and squeal as I end their lives but others still follow their example. When all of them had fallen I turn to Rozen.

"Behind you!" He screams, pointing over my shoulder. As I turn a man shoves a blade right through me. Rozen screams and I turn to face him, blood dripping from my mouth. He sinks to his knees, but I don't.  Instead I grab the blade by its hilt and mercilessly jerk it free. I turn around and stab the man, who stares at me shock. His face forever frozen as his life slips away.

As soon as the blade had been removed the wound from me seals over. Rozen and his pack stare at my unmared skin in horror. I turn to face Casbian. "You are wrong if you think I will ever let you win." I shout. His gaze remains steady as he stalks towards me.

I break into a sprint and knock him to the ground. My eyes go black as I begin to throttle him. I reach into shirt and pull out my old dagger I killed myself with. I hold it above him ready to plunge it in, knowing that he could die much more easily than me. But as I looked into his eyes I saw nothing but the old Casbian who I loved. My arm shakes.

"Do it." He whispers. I look into his eyes. "Just know that this was never about power for me. I loved my little sister. But you are not her. She took her own life and was replaced by something far darker. I did this for her. Our brothers wanted you dead for power but I never wanted you dead. But if your death means thousands of lives are saved- then I have to do this. The prophecy can never come to pass." He says in a raspy voice.

"What are you talking about?" I demand in a wobbly voice. He reaches up and taps my forehead. "The one only you and I know about. The Blood Wolf. It will rise because of you. And you knows that." He reminds me sullenly.

"If Cyrus is who you are talking about you don't need to worry. I'll kill him before he even has a chance to rise." I say coldly. Casbian shakes his head. "You and I both know it's not him." He twirls a lock of my hair. "Then who? Who could it possibly be?" I order him to tell me. "It's going to be you."

I leap to my feet and he sits up. "Don't pretend you didn't know before." He says. "Who told you it was me? What made you think it was me?" I demand  vehemently.  He shakes his head once again. "It's not Cyrus's soul that makes you like this it's just you. Camilla was wrong." His revelations shake me. I drop the knife.

"No. It's not going to be me Casbian." I plea desperately. "In your soul do you really believe that? Or do you still doubt my words despite the blackend, twisted thing inside you?" He questions. I look at him star struck and in denial, and then I sprint off into the woods leaving a blazing trail of fire in my footsteps.

Casbian stared into the forest long after I was out of sight, thoroughly suprised that I was unable to end his life. He sat there in stupor after giving what he thought would be his final words. Words where he dropped the act and the old Casbian shone through.