feels •shawn mendes• ch. 21

God damn it, please don't remember.

"I can't recall..." my mother says, and I sigh in relief.

Im about to say bye to tatum and close the door when I see a Jeep pull up behind us.

"Shit. Uh. I mean shoot! I mean, hey, Tatum! Why don't you go upstairs!" I push her up the stairs towards my room.

"I don't want to yet!" Tatum whines, and I ignore her.

"You really should go!" I tell her.

She sighs and trudges up to my room. "What is up with you?!"

My mom walks into the kitchen and I walk outside quickly, making sure tatum is nowhere to be seen.

"You have to leave!" I whisper yell at shawn as he gets out of his car.

"What? Babe, why?" He asks, coming over to me.

"No!" I duck as he tries to hug me. "Tatum is here! She can't see you!"

I see the expression on shawns face change as he looks behind me.

"Uh..." he chokes out, "she already did."

Shit.

I turn around and see Tatum walking out the door.

"Leave her alone, shawn! She doesn't like you!" Tatum yells, walking up to us.

"Uhm." I choke out, looking frantically back and forth.

"I just wanted-" he starts to make an excuse.

"I don't care! She doesn't like you, and she has a boyfriend!" Tatum says loudly, causing my mom to open up the door.

Tatum, please be quiet. I beg her silently. Don't let me be caught.

Suddenly I hear a squeal from my mother.

"Oh, hi!!" She says, walking up to us, and I know I'm trapped.

"Hi..." shawn says softly.

My mom can't tell that anything's wrong.

"Tatum, thats him!" My mother says excitedly, "thats Aubrey's boyfriend! Although I can't remember your name, young man."

I can barely look at tatum. She gasps and says,

"Shawn?!"

"Ah, yes! Thats his name. Hi shawn, it's nice to see you again." My mother smiles, then realizes how awkward it is.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"You-shawn-what??!!" Tatum screams, and I cover my ears.

"Tate, you've gotta let me explain!" I rush out, as shawn puts his arm around me.

Tatum's eyes nearly bulge out of her head as she looks at us.

"I don't think I want to hear it." She says honestly. "You acted like you hated him?! What??? I'm so confused...why wouldn't you just tell me?"

"I was scared, Tatum. I didn't know how you would react, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to explain what happened."

My mom looks at us and walks silently back inside.

"How...how long?" She asks.

"Over a month..." I say quietly.

"I don't understand, Aubrey. You-you make no sense." She says.

"Well you and Danny dated even though I was uncomfortable with it! I didn't say a thing, so how is this different?" I ask.

"I told you! That's the difference." Tatum looks at me sadly.