feels •shawn mendes• ch. 26

I wake up exhausted, and it takes me a while to get out of bed. I'm searching for my phone when I see it across the room. When I pick it up, I have hundreds of notifications. I'm sick to my stomach as I read the ones from Piper.

PIPER: you really felt like you wouldn't be able to tell us? Not that anyone would have actually given two shits about you or your boy toy.

PIPER: shows what a horrible friend you really are.

PIPER: this whole time you acted like you hated his guts when you were really fucking him!

PIPER: I promised Tatum I wouldn't be mad. I don't even know why. I thought you two at least wanted to be friends with me. Share things with me.

PIPER: but it's too late. First her and now you?

PIPER: fakest people I've met.

Hands shaking, I text her back.

ME: are you serious Piper?

ME: I felt like I couldn't tell you because I knew you'd react like this.

ME: you're being a bitch. I don't know if you're mad that you can't get a guy or whatever, but see it in my point of view.

ME: you can't get it in your head that maybe I wasn't comfortable telling you guys?

ME: I thought you'd laugh and make fun of me for swearing I would never touch him.

ME: or you'd do this. Call me a liar and a fake. I thought we could stay friends but I guess not. I thought maybe, after the rough patch we had this year that we could be somewhat close! But I wouldn't want to be.

ME: and shawn makes me happy.

ME: I thought you were my best friend! Best friends aren't like this.

PIPER: I stopped fucking liking you at all last year. So did everyone at the table. You think we actually wanted to be your friend? We use you to get into the best parties. No one likes you, Aubrey. This whole time, it's been a lie. I could care less what life is like without you. Just stay away from me.

ME: I wouldn't want someone as superficial as you to like me anyway. Ten years of "friendship" wasted on you.

I feel like I should cry, but I don't. I'm not sad, almost relieved.

I check my messages from shawn, and most sound frantic.

BABYYYY: more stuff is coming out...it's all lies I promise baby.

BABYYYY: I love you. The news outlet just wants a story.

BABYYYY: I'm coming home earlier than planned.

BABYYYY: we need to talk. I'll fly back after but I just need to see you this weekend.

BABYYYY: everyone on Twitter is hating on you...even though it isn't your fault.

BABYYYY: calling you a dumbass, saying that maybe if you were a better girlfriend I wouldn't have "cheated"

BABYYYY: I know you don't want to talk to me but please know you are none of those things.

ME: I still don't want to talk to you, shawn, but you can't come home. This is your career and it's more important than whatever drama the press wants to cook up.

ME: this is your dream. you can't let this ruin it...

I open google and look up shawns name. Sure enough, more stuff has happened. Of course. The headlines make my head hurt.