Fifteen

Life sort of reset itself. They would pass each other in the halls, eyes meeting with a fleeting smile, but conversations stopped. They
exchanged the odd pleasantries here and there but it wasn't the same.

Asahi had tried to reconnect with Noya again but there was something between them now, though he couldn't quite put his finger on exactly what that thing was. Perhaps it was the encounter after the concert at his home, or the breakdown in the hallway, or maybe something else he hadn't thought of. Either way, it hurt a little, having to watch Noya pass him everyday with a shadow looming over him.

But life had to go on and if Noya didn't want them to be friends.. or anything more than that, then there was nothing he could do about it and no good would come from wallowing in his own misery about it, so he had decided to get on with life and when Noya wanted to speak again then he would welcome him with open arms, but that was something that he had to chose himself.

There was a girl he knew. She was really nice, a smaller girl who mostly kept to herself, but he knew her through a friend and that friend had taken it upon herself to give her his number. Honestly it was nice, the idea that maybe this girl and him could get along and perhaps the whole situation with Noya was just a fleeting thing, this would be easier, right?

They arranged to meet on a weekend, get coffee or something, maybe visit the arcades afterwards.

Asahi stood outside the coffee shop. It was a little independent place, a potted plants and chalkboards kinda vibe, little patio chairs on the cobblestone outside that were perfect for summer catchups with friends. Or first dates.

He spotted her as she arrived. Her name was Leia, a small framed girl with auburn hair and kind eyes. That's all he knew about her really but she was easy to pick out in the crowd as she walked over with a smile.

"Hey Asahi", she smiled as she arrived, not leaning in for a hug, more straining to look up at him than anything.

She really was quite pretty. Her eyes were dark brown, and a lock of hair fell across them, which she brushed away with a grin.

"Hey leia, uh did you want a coffee?"

She nodded, "think I might get a hot chocolaté actually".

"Alright. Well want to find us a seat out here? It's a beautiful day, shame to sit inside and waste it".

He could tell she liked that idea. Sitting on the promenade under the shade of a cherry blossom tree in early bloom, it was any girls dream date and she nodded, heading off to find a seat as he went inside.

He didn't mind paying for her drink, it seemed like the kind thing to do and anyways he wanted to make a good impression. He actually hadn't been to this coffee shop before, nor pretty much any coffee shop, but it seemed like a nice spot for a date and the prices weren't too bad either.

Opening the door and stepping inside it was like someone had stuck a coffee bean up his nose because the smell was overwhelming. A mix of coffee and books, a hint of sweet rolls too. He made a mental note to get them one to share.

There was nobody at the counter as he walked up so he waited, taking a look at the cake and sweet collection they had on offer. Brownies, sweet rolls, custard tarts, it was enough to make his mouth water.

"Thank you for waiting! What can I get you?". A small figure harried out through the kitchen door, tying up a little apron as they came before spotting the customer.

Asahi looked up, making eye contact with Noya behind the counter who looked equally as uncomfortable as he felt, but god he looked cute.

Wearing a little white shirt with a coffee cup logo on it and a black apron tied up around his waist with a bow, Noya stop in front of him, his hair low and swept to the side out of his eyes, pinned back with a little black hair clip to keep it there.

"Asahi.. hi"

The tone in his voice gave away that he knew why he was here. It's easy to see when someone has made an effort and Asahi certainly had, hair up in a bun, ironed t-shirt tucked into a smart looking pair of jeans. The smell of cologne also wafted off him, strong enough to break the coffee smell surrounding them.

"Oh hey.. I uh didn't know you worked here".

"Yeah I started this week actually.. my dad wanted me to get a job".

Asahi nodded slowly as the looked at each other for a little bit too long before he remembered the girl waiting for him outside, casting a glance towards the window where he could see her sitting at one of the ironwood tables playing a game on her phone. Noya followed his gaze to her, a sinking feeling in his chest.

Asahi was on a date, and he was annoyed it wasn't with him.

"Oh I didn't know you were here with anyone?" He asked, starting to input information into the till.

"Yeah her names Leia, a friend of ours set this up it wasn't really-"

"What can I get you". Noya cut him off mid sentence, looking Asahi straight In the eyes with a blank expression.

"Hey Noya don't be like that, we haven't talked in a while really so I kinda figured that it was okay" Asahi smiled lightly, but he could feel the guilt growing inside him. Why should eh feel guilty? Noya was the one who made it clear he didn't want anything between them. Yet there was something inside him that told him maybe this wasn't the best idea.

"Just tell me what you want to order, I have a job I can't chat all day" he snapped.

"Noya i thought that you wouldn't mind, i mean you said that you weren't.. you know, gay?"

That was definitely not the right thing for him to have said, Noya slamming his first on the counter and gritting his teeth.

" I'm not! I just.. why did you have to bring her here okay?! I swear to god I'm just trying to get on with stuff and you're always just here making it hard for me! I don't care if you want to date her, go ahead, I hope you're very happy together okay? And I hope that you hold her when she's said and you can tell each other secrets and that you have a happy life but just take it somewhere else! It... it hurts Asahi, I don't know why but it just does.."

Noya was trembling a little, but he didn't leave his eyes from Asahi's gaze for one moment.

"Now what can I get you?"