the plan

The next day, Braelyn followed Ben around like a lost puppy

The next day, Braelyn followed Ben around like a lost puppy. Their schedules had been messed up from the morning due to the school attending the tourney game that afternoon. With shortened bells, Braelyn found herself breezing through the morning with ease.

She was following her brother to his locker while Audrey went on and on about her dress for the coronation and how expensive it was. Braelyn couldn't care less. She was tired of listening to Audrey talk for hours on end about herself. The topic eventually turned from the dress to Mal which caught Braelyn's attention.

"She did it to Jane's hair too and Fairy Godmother is not happy about it," Audrey ranted.

Ben shrugged as he opened his locker. "What's the harm?"

"It's gateway magic! Sure, it starts with the hair. Next thing you know, it's the lips, legs, clothes, and then everyone looks good and..." Audrey trailed off as she looked up at Ben. "Where will I be?"

"Listen, Audrey," Braelyn tried to stop the girl from talking again.

The brunette huffed, efficiently cutting off the princess. "I will see you later after my dress fitting for the coronation, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." Ben closed his locker harshly.

"Bye, Bennyboo!" Audrey cooed and gave him an air kiss before fleeing the scene.

Braelyn watched the girl disappear from view before looking at her brother with a teasing smile. "You could do so much better."

"Hey, Bennyboo!" Mal repeated the nickname with a high pitched voice. Braelyn and Ben both turned to see the villain.

"Hey," Ben greeted as they walked over towards Mal.

She held up a bag of cookies. "I just made a batch of cookies. Double chocolate chip. Do you want one?"

Ben shook his head politely. "Uh, I've got a big game. I usually don't eat a lot before a game but thank you so, so much. Thank you, next time!" Ben grabbed his sister's arm and began to lead her towards the field since the game was going to start soon.

"Oh, yeah. I completely understand. Be careful of treats offered by kids of villains," Mal let out a defeated sigh, "I'm sure every kid in Auradon knows that."

"No, no, no," Ben tried to interrupt, "That's not it, I really just-"

"No, I get it! You're cautious. That's smart. Oh, well. More for me." Mal opened the bag and grabbed the cookie. Just as she was about to bite into it, Ben grabbed it from her and took a big bite.

"See that?" Ben asked around the cookie. "Totally trust you. Totally."

Mal glanced back as Evie and Carlos approached her. "How are they?" She asked Ben.

Ben gave a nod of approval. "They're good. They're great! Amazing. They're uh, they're chewy, and uh, is that walnuts? I love walnuts. I mean, uh, you know the chocolate..uh, the chocolate chips...I'm sorry. They're warm, soft, sweet." The prince finally pulled his eyes away from the treat to look at the girl in front of him. "Mal, have you always had those golden flecks in your eyes?"