the search

Fairy Cottage seemed eerie in the dark of the night

Fairy Cottage seemed eerie in the dark of the night. The group paused just outside to catch up, all of them hiding behind nearby trees. Jay bent down for Braelyn to hop back to her feet with Carlos right behind her, just in case anything went wrong.

Ben gave them a subtle nod before they moved forward to enter. Mal clutched the ember tightly in her hand as the king shoved the front door open, only to reveal an empty room. Jay moved from the back of the group to dart up the stairs in search of Audrey before he came right back.

"She's not upstairs," He said as he jumped from the last step. As soon as he said that, a loud banging came from the closet. Braelyn jumped in her spot behind her brother causing Mal to push her back slightly. Carlos came up from the side as Evie, Celia, Harry, and Uma moved up as well.

Ben looked through the door window before lifting the bar up that was blocking the entrance. He swung the door open to reveal someone curled up on the floor. "Chad?"

"I want my mommy." It was obvious the AK was stunned by whatever happened before the group got there, no doubt due to Audrey. Ben went to reach to help him up but he flinched away. The king whispered reassurance before pulling Chad up from the floor. "Ben. Ben!" He pulled Ben's jacket close as he observed the king. "Oh. Your face."

The group shifted back and forth as Chad slowly looked around the room. He looked positively terrified, and Braelyn wondered what exactly had gone down before they got there.

"She's gone, huh?" Chad asked, "The door's open. I'm free. Free!" He screamed as he took off out of the cottage, his shouts echoing behind him.

Harry burst out laughing at the sight, "Now that, was one scaredy cat." He continued to laugh as he moved forward and wrapped an arm around Braelyn's shoulder, pulling her from Carlos' grasp. "Now, lass, tell me you're not that scared of a little evil, eh?"

Braelyn looked up at him, trying not to drool over his muscled arm. "Hook," She chuckled as she patted his chest gently before stepping away from him and back into her fiancé's arms. "You are... something special."

Without another word, she followed her brother and friends out of the cottage, leaving the pirate to catch up with a huff.

"Alright, let's get this Audrey chick taken care of already," Uma said as they stepped off the patio. "What do you say girls? Time to wrap things up?"

Ben looked at Mal, who was smiling at the comment. "You know, someday, you're going to have to tell me how you guys all teamed up."

"Actually," Evie piped up from her spot behind the couple, "Mal promised to let all the kids off the Isle once this is over."

Ben shared a glance with his sister before turning towards the VK in question. Mal was the one who suggested closing the barrier forever, and now all of a sudden she wanted all the kids off the Isle too? "Mal?"