Chapter 6

Yes, I'm aware that Mark and Charlie weren't in the band together (because obviously there can't be two bass players) It's just different in the story, okay? Okay.

"Okay, okay! I got this!" Avril giggled.

"Just hold on tight Av." He carefully made sure his foot was placed perfectly on each thick branch.

Avril hopped off of Evan's back once they reached the bottom.

"Where do you think the guys are?" Avril questioned as she continued smacking her gum.

"Probably some random place here in the woods. But how about we just go for a walk down the path?" Evan suggested.

"Sounds cool to me." They started down the leave covered path, passing tall trees who's branches stuck out and towered over them like a cat's paw menacingly hovering over a mouse.

Avril grabbed hold of Evan's hand with no change of expression. Evan, however, seemed to feel his whole body ignite with a burning fire that sped up his heart rate and give him an exotic feeling flowing in his veins.

After a while of walking in silence, which was usually something Avril would protest against, she claimed she was tired out and Evan spotted a wooden park bench along the path. They both took their seats beside each other. Avril spit her gum out in the leaves behind them.

Avril smiled at Evan. He smiled back.

"This is kinda nice, you know. Without all the noise and stuff. I like the peace for once," Evan said.

"Yeah. Actually calms me down." Avril nodded in agreement. She leaned her head on Evan's shoulder. Evan found that kind of odd. They weren't dating anymore. But Av had always done that even before they dated, so he pushed it aside.

Evan was secretly hurt that he wasn't with Avril anymore. But he should've known. Young love never lasts.

After a while longer of just sitting, Avril looked up at Evan. He looked back at her. Her lips curled up slightly.

Evan was left with tingles down his arms.

Evan began to think.

Think of what they were.

How they loved each other.

But maybe Avril might've actually never loved him.

What an embarrassing thing.

He just wished he knew why Avril had ended it so abruptly. He always wondered what he did wrong. He was terrified not knowing. He just wanted Avril to be happy, but lately he hasn't been happy himself. He's lost without Avril.

He thought about their first kiss. How genuine it was. It wasn't forced. It was loving. So why? Why did Avril leave him?

His face tightened up as a glossy coat of tears glazed his eyes.

"Hey Evan. What's wrong, dude?" Avril questioned.

His head resisted motion.

"Evan?"

"I'm good."

"Dude, you're crying."

"No I'm not."

"Tell that to the mirror."

"Whatever, just forget about it."

"No."

"Why?"

"Cause I care about you!"

Evan glared at her.

"Av. Could I ask you something?"

"Stop avoiding this!"

"I'm not! Can I just ask the fucking question?"

"Fine. Fine. What?"

"I know I've asked this before.. But why did you break up with me?"

Avril stared down at her feet. "Uhm. Well. You see it's not that simple."

"What do you mean?"

"Uhm..."

"Avril!"

Without hesitation, Avril roughly shoved Evan to the edge of the bench and connected lips with his.

At first, Evan's eyes were opened wide out of shock. But then he eased into the kiss.

Avril heard footsteps in the woods on the other side of he path. She became alert.

"Av! Evan! Where are you guys?" Matt shouted.

Charlie spotted Avril. "Oh, Avril! We've been looking for you ev- Oh..."

"I thought they stopped dating!" Matt exclaimed.

"Guess not!"

"Guys! I told you to wait for me!" Jesse complained. He ran up to the boys who were standing behind a tree.

Jesse felt like he was shot right in the chest.

Like he was stabbed in the back.

He felt more than just betrayed.

He felt disgusted.

Disgusted with himself.

And even more with the guy he thought he could trust.

He furrowed his eyebrows.

He trudged over to the bench. The band members were confused at his actions.

"Evan Taubenfeld, get the fuck away from my girlfriend."