𝐓𝐖𝐎. Training

Time flew by so fast. The raptors were growing up rapidly. Unlike their original species which used to be much smaller in size, each of them had grown to be about 2 meters tall in maturity, owing to their enhanced growth and metabolism. Whatever the reason behind this might have been, Kate had no idea, but it did not matter either. What mattered were the raptors themselves. The squad, who, in this few years time, had only grown to be an indispensable part of her life. And her life, finally, had a purpose.

The raptors, too, had grown more and more attached to Owen and Kate over the years, strengthening the connection that was based on love and respect. Even so, both could not but acknowledge that the raptors lacked in their training and were not appropriate or ready for public viewing any soon. The raptors, staying true to their nature, had grown to be highly predatory, deadly and cunning, and if there was any mistake to happen... they could not imagine what to expect.

So, taking into account of all sorts of accidents to have ever taken place, starting with decades old tragedies at Jurassic Park and Isla Sorna to the present, it was decided the velociraptors still be left out of consideration for being made available for exhibition. Therefore, within the boundary of the Velociraptor Valley, their training focus shifted more towards their behavioral characteristics study, ability to take orders, and hunting. Especially, hunting.

Since the raptors were naturally hunters, specifically pack hunters, they were required to be coordinated and cooperative. But the emphasis on their hunting training lied completely somewhere else, in the need for them to have self-control. And so they would be routinely allowed to chase and hunt after their prey in order to develop coordination of their minds and ability to act upon them, yet again limits were imposed. The raptors were never allowed to prey on living creatures. Like at zoos, they were always fed on dead flesh, and never allowed to taste a fresh kill  to keep their predatory and hunting instincts in check— yet it was not enough to prevent a few unforeseen accidents.

So, the Grady's could not be more grateful to Mr. Masrani for concluding against exhibiting the raptors.

It was a typical noon at the Velociraptor Valley, and time for their daily routined pig chase.

Kate was leaning against the railing beside Owen, both of them watching the raptors from the above, from up on one of the crisscrossed walkways. Previously, the siblings did use to train them while staying by their sides inside the paddock walls, but once the raptors were growing up, started rebellious and tricky acts and posing threats, changes were brought. A mesh of narrow but secure walkways had been set up all over the big paddock, and they proceeded with their training from up there. It did take a little time to adjust, but it worked out just as great.

The raptors were busy chasing after a small pig that was running desperately for its life. Having never tasted a fresh kill, not even during the few accidents they had caused so far / except an accident in the past, it was only natural for them to be excited during each of these hunting sessions. It was incredible how the pig, despite its smaller legs ran so fast. It was given a fair head-start, even so it was no wonder when the raptors were catching up real quick despite the head start. Five of them were racing side by side, occasionally communicating in squeals as they chased until two of them from the sides were falling back and soon, had disappeared in different directions without a trace. Since it was not a new technique Kate was witnessing, she knew those two were soon going to reappear and attack from the front using the element of surprise. And so it unveiled within the next few seconds, and the raptors had the pig rounded up from all sides. The pig cried helplessly as the raptors slowly approached it, drawing closer with each step they took, with their eyes bearing vicious and greedy looks. Just as Blue had bent to her attacking posture, Kate quickly raised her hand and yelled "Halt!"